View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #74
JayhawkerStL
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 18 vs Ncaa 14: We deserve better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcandlestickpark
Ever since the Xbox One backwards compatibility program for 360 titles was announced in 2015, the idea of bringing past sports games, namely NCAA 14, to the platform has always intrigued me. Now that original Xbox backwards compatibility exists, the idea of playing MVP Baseball 2005 on my Xbox One is pretty damn enticing also. I'm not sure how licensing or legal issues would affect those possibilities, though.

It's worth mentioning that the Original Xbox versions of MVP Baseball 2003 and ESPN NFL 2K5 were brought to the Xbox 360 via backwards compatibility, so there is some precedent for sports games making the jump from one generation to the next via that method.
With the solution Microsoft uses to make BC work on the XB1, there is zero chance that any of the licensed sports games are going to be made available. They are actually editing the code so that it becomes a new software title that requires the approval of the rights holders.

Sports games are particularly vulnerable to this, because they would essentially have to get approval from too many entities. Add in the notion that it would make it easier for gamers to skip current sports titles in favor of older ones, and there is zero motivation to make this happen.

And with NCAA, EA dropped it because of the lawsuits by players demanding to get paid. There is no way they are going to approve a game that would re-open that discussion.

Same goes for Tiger woods Golf, because that separation was so ugly that EA pulled every single product from their online stores that had any mention of Tiger. Plus, EA has run into issues with golf courses charging too much for their rights compared with the sales they have been able to generate. They won't be trying to make that happen, either.

On the plus side, going forward, every sports game ought to be playable on every new version of the Xbox, as it will be real BC and not a software fix. Doesn't help with old titles, but it means anything that is out for the XB1 will always run on future Xbox consoles.

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 01-16-2018 at 03:47 PM.