View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Toupal
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What's the future of Ratings in Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
Verts just released a nice interview with Rex about the future of Madden that at least for me has me excited for next years game and the future of the game.

One of the things that Rex hints at is that in order to further the sim nature of the game and improve AI, they might have to revisit how player ratings work.

I think the community has played around with this idea before, but I don't know if we've fleshed it out much.

I recall All Pro Football...I think it was 2011 maybe. They didn't have numbered ratings. Their players just had traits. I never played it so I don't know what the game play felt like, but I think that might be the future for differentiating how ai players work.

If you ask me i think they should consider skill trees with perks, passives, specializations and other RPG concepts. This would definitely add to the intrigue of player CFM. And considering the highly meticulous nature of CFM guys, it'd really scratch our itch.

Like let's say you have a cornerback (to me the most impressive position to be dominant at in all of sports). All players might have their skill tree separated into a few areas like Athleticism, techniques, intangibles. And each area will have a skill tree based on the positon. So for a cornerback, under athleticism there might be a perk for something like "closing speed" corners with closing speed may get beat on a route and give up a catch, but they can easily close while the ball is in the air. This would make those frustrating drag routes less dangerous against guys who have this (I'm thinking Patrick Peterson types).

Let's say you get a certain level on all the skill trees (think your 90 plus type rated players in the game) Then you can get a specialization class designation that reconnects to the scheme stuff we see in the game now, but you can only really choose one. For example if you have a high enough athleticism rank and you max out man coverage skills under intangibles, you can get the "Corner Island" perk which will give you huge boosts in man coverage calls against anyone but at the cost of int chance and tackling (think Darrell Revis who was never an INT machine). OR if you have a high enough athletics skill, good man and zone coverage skills, and then really high intangibles, you can spec into the "playmaker" perk which gives you a huge boost on hitting power, strip ball, int chance, and even elusiveness, juke, and spin moves on big 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter (I'm thinking Marcus Peters, Charles Tillman), but you'll never truly shut down high level receivers.

Something close to this would really change the way people build their teams, even in MUT, cause now if you are a guy that run's a certain scheme, you can meticulously build and tailor your players to fit that scheme to a high enough level that it forces opponents to play differently. The 06 Bears Cover 2 was so perfect with such perfect personnel that teams redesigned their offenses in order to stand a chance and just hopped for Rex Grossman to mess up. That super bowl, Joeseph Addai set a record for receptions for a running back because Peyton Manning would not throw deep and they checked down under the Cover 2 shell the entire game cause they couldn't throw over it or in between it. The Bears lost that year because they didn't adjust (and becuase Rex Grossman)

That's just something that jumped in my head when Rex mentioned that ratings were probably not the future. What other ideas do you guys think are feasible going forward?
I like this idea...

The thing that always bothered me with Madden is that the ratings are too close together, and their isn’t much separation from the legends (Peyton Manning) and the average NFL player (Rex Grossman)