View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #1517
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

Former CU coach Pellum hired as UConn DC

As expected, UConn has filled their defensive coordinator position from outside the program. Head coach Stephen Belichick and athletic director Bobby Valentine have announced the hiring of former Colorado head coach Don Pellum to replace Josh Conklin, who left last week to take the Iowa head coaching job.

The 60-year old had led the Buffs since 2015; he went 44-44 in seven years, including a 2-1 bowl record. A 3-9 finish a year ago led to his firing. Prior to Colorado, Pellum had spent roughly 20 years as a defensive position coach at Oregon. He was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2014, and after a national title win, Pellum was hired away by the Buffs.

UConn had also considered former Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald as a finalist for the job before ultimately hiring Pellum.

Pellum runs a 3-4 multiple look, which is what Coach Belichick ran for most of last season. Though I would widely expect more 3-4 again this fall, depth along the front seven, especially at linebackers, look a little thin headed into signing day.

Front Seven Depth Chart:

LE:
#94 Brennick Samples - rSO
#2 DeAaron Kensing - rFR

RE:
#93 James Mandrell - rSR
#59 Kiel Hughes - rSO
#89 Daulton Hiatt - rFR

DT:
#49 Jeremy Broadricke - rJR
#90 Ethan Buckingham - rFR
#97 Matt Tellers - rFR

LOLB:
#13 Jevon Sapp - rSO
#99 Scott Coffman - rSR
#44 Scott Sarria - rFR

MLB:
#4 Mike Hill - rSR
#57 Alex Brown - rSR
N/A Jayson Meier - FR

ROLB:
#56 A.J. Paxston - rSR
N/A Avan Goulding - FR

It remains to be seen if Pellum will try to implement more four-lineman sets to account for this, or how many more linebackers will commit once signing day comes around. Notable linebacking prospects still awaiting commitment include 4* Marshawn Dortch and 3* Vasean Gatewood and Easton Lennox. UConn has a handful of athletes who could provide depth at defensive tackle and are also awaiting upon the decision of 3* prep prospect Tarik Madison.

Belichick, notably not wanting to steal the spotlight from Coach Pellum, stated he “likes the hire.”

Pellum considers the opportunity “an honor - to get to work with a talented young coach and a program building a great national reputation.” Pellum also stated he hopes that his veteran leadership “is a positive to all of the young men I’ll be working with.”

Pellum brings transfer along with him in LB Marlon Bush

Shortly after the announcement of the hire, Coach Pellum already made his mark on the UConn defense. Rising redshirt freshman Marlon Bush Jr. has announced his decision to follow the former Buffs head coach to UConn as a transfer. Bush sat out last season in his first and only year in Boulder, and will do so again in 2022 due to NCAA transfer rules.

“Coach Pellum is an incredibly intelligent and talented coach with all of his years and all of the roles he has had. I’m blessed to be accepted by Coach Belichick and excited to continue to play for the coach who recruited me at the same time!”

The Ohio native Bush (68 overall) is not a spectacular athlete, but his tackling and play recognition are good for someone his age. He’ll start out at right outside linebacker along with incoming freshman Avan Goulding, who is attempting to enroll early for spring practice. The two will likely battle to start at that position when Bush is eligible in 2023. Fifth year senior (and fellow Buckeye stater) A.J. Paxston will serve as a one-year stopgap as he will start barring extreme circumstances.

--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
Writeups of the players leaving were wonderful, I especially enjoyed the IceJax and Rourke write-ups. Two sides of the coin, the decorated and undecorated and they panned out totally differently. During the offseason, I don't know about you, but it's difficult to slow down and do a full accounting of the players that left. But if you do, it's really rewarding. I know I really enjoyed it. Helped to really frame this dynasty. And it's great to see the much deserved love from the other guys as well, related to UConn or not. Keep up the great work Guru.
Many thanks, Helli!

The recruiting in this dynasty has really been a fascinating case study. In terms of star power, for the first eight years we haven't recruited all that well with just a pair of five-star prospects (Sam Rourke and Chamarkelle Byrom, now three with incoming freshman Ashanti Swift). For that matter, a lot of our four-star guys over the years haven't really worked out either, as we'll start to see when the 2018 and 2019 classes trickle out of the building in the coming seasons.

However, we've hit so many times on these mid-level, three star prospects - think Isaac Jackson, Shav Wade, Altarri Gardner and John Cox - and those have been the guys we built the team and the program around. It's worked out pretty well so far!

I love doing the recruiting classes in review.. they serve purpose for me and for you all as well. For those who are newer to the thread, they can get a taste of some of the bigger star players from years past they may have missed. For guys who have been long-time followers, they can be reminded of some of the guys from long ago who we liked coming in but didn't pan out and maybe haven't heard from in a while (David Hamilton, in particular).

I'm a very sentimental person and I like thinking about the past. Now that the dynasty has taken on two distinct parts - the pre and post-hiatus of 2016 - I enjoy these posts because I can think about the past when these guys got recruited in real-time. Reflection is part of what makes this dynasty special to me, so I need to take the opportunities to do so when they arise!

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.