View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #9
khaliib
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: What's the future of Ratings in Madden?

I made it to some NFL Free Agent Invites as a DB before back surgery at 24 yrs old ended the Pro dream.

With that, let me clarify some things dealing with coverages and routes etc...

99.9% of DB’s getting beat whether Man or Zone, at the NFL level is do to...
1) Eyes reading incorrectly and/or in the wrong place
2) Breakdown of fundamentals to try and make up for #1.

A DB covering a certain type of route better than another simply doesn’t exist.

Offensive players have tendencies and as a DB at the NFl level, you trying and anticipate that tendency on a play and “hope” the outcome is in your favor.

Dealing with ratings, every sports game, including APF, Backbreaker etc... uses numerical ratings (open a 360 game save and see for yourself) under the hood to drive the game.

As some have touched on, Madden’s Rating System needs to be expanded because there are several ratings that have a multi-function within the game.

So lowering the rating to improve this, often affects another of its functions that needed it to be higher (ie AWR, STR etc...)

Another example is ratings that are used to trigger animations, but at the same time affect the Win-chance % (ie Juke).
- here’s something about Juke Rating that really speak to this multi-use
- it also affects QB Pocket movement (something to do with before they expanded the rating system)

Separate Multi-use ratings and move Animation ratings to be seen as Traits on the front end.

Truth is most gamers are not interested in deep-diving into the game to see how it works, so having access to seeing ratings on the front end may be doing more harm to their enjoyment than necessary IMOP.

For CFM Sim Play as a Coach or Owner, I’ve suggested that all ratings be hidden from Front End View (optional turn on/off of course) and you have to base player value to your team/scheme etc by how/what he does in practice and games.

For your opponents (User or AI) part of the challenge and chess match is adjusting to give you the best chance of winning.
- this will force CFM gamers to really invest in “knowing” their roster through practice/games

Anyways, just my $.02 on the subject.