View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #48
UFCBlackbelt
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Ducks are overpowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
This is an infinitely better post than "ducks shouldn't evade hooks".

Thank you for adding value to the discussion with this post.

Ok, you keep bringing up this idea that I am saying ducks shouldn't avoid hooks which is not my point. This was misunderstood, probably because I was very tired when I wrote my post. I meant to say ducks shouldn't avoid straights AND hooks, as in combined. As for hooks, they should be timed well. Unless you are shorter (which should encourage this kind of behavior and make up for a height disadvantage) there should be major risks with head movement beyond one or two potential strike types. As of right now, those are mostly uppercuts, one of the lowest landing strikes in real life.

First of all, I do not agree at all with the notion that body kicks have reduced stun because you are more "braced" by ducking. I don't know who came up with this idea, it is false. Ducking actually will increase the stun by having your body improperly weighted. There is also an increased risk of a body kick landing as a headkick. The best stun defense should occur when your feet are planted, and even that should only be minimal, or when you are moving away from the direction of a strike.

At the moment, ducks just have way too much going for them. I've only mentioned the defensive bonuses, I haven't mentioned all the offensive bonuses such as an easy rock due to the increased speed and power of a counterstrike. You can argue it can easily be defeated with an uppercut, but there is way more to the meta, and it forces a rock-paper-scissor game towards high ranking gameplay.

There are ways to fight on the outside, most of it involves feints and using head movement to counter head movement, but this is a gamey representation of an outside fight. It is simply too easy to stay in the pocket, it should be more difficult. Pressing forward should present greater risks. Pressure should be a calculated, tactical gameplan which involves maintaining distance from your opponent and cutting the cage off until you can corner them and negate their movement options.

Last edited by UFCBlackbelt; 02-22-2018 at 09:52 PM.