View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #94
bucky60
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Rex's Reflections on Madden 18 and the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
I don't think the problem is the XP coinage system, it's primarily how the AI spends it, how that enhances OVR and how that enhanced OVR impacts the AI roster decisions. Balance that better and a ton of the CPU roster mgmt wonkiness fades away.
If realism is your immersion, the problem is both how XP is earned and how it is spent. A realistic progressions system should have production follow progression not progression follow production.

Quote:
As far as immersion factor... you are your own worst enemy in that regard... make up as many storylines as you want in your head. You don't need an imaginary coordinator running an imaginary film session telling you that your imaginary wide receiver is now slightly better at route running. It's just as easy to make all that crap up yourself... "I've decided that my WR3 has worked hard in practice and deserves a route running bump, so that's where his XP pennies are headed." The game doesn't need layer upon layers of convolution, we all have imaginations for a reason... it's your sand box... take advantage.
"I've decided that" takes what should be a dynamic system and makes it static. You know that route running is improved because you force it with spending XP on route running. I don't want to make "all that crap up myself", I want to be pleasantly surprised or disappointed with a players progression and what they progressed in. I want my influence to be realistic not god-like.

Quote:
That said, I can understand wanting some things to feel truly randomized and out of your control... and if the AI was more tightly coded and position specific (see my 1st paragraph)... then you could let it handle progression for you and hand you some weekly news blurbs on player progress... But either way, the XP pennies aren't the issue.... it's how they are earned, how many are earned relative to attribute costs and how the AI uses them. All warts that can be tightened up via straightforward enough AI enhancements or mechanisms already in game (such as XP% slider). There is no reason the current system can't provide acceptable player progression, whether you want to peek behind the curtain or remain blissfully ignorant.
I'm glad you understand my desire for randomness and realism. I also understand your desire to completely control progression.