View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #1529
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

NFL Preview 2022

UConn alumni prep for season; Brooklyn Beats owner Jeffrey Loria pulls coup, moves Bills away from Buffalo in shocking middle-of-the-night development

The Dolphins, led by former Heisman winner Treon Harris, have owned the division in recent years, but the Patriots will look to rise up from mediocrity; they've gone 8-8 in each of the last two seasons and have Clayton Thorson, one of the top young slingers in the game. Both the Beats and Jets have good defenses, but need their mid-level quarterbacks to step up if they want a shot at the division crown.

My Pick: Dolphins (Patriots, wildcard)

Everyone is chasing the Super Bowl Champion Bengals, who have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL. The Browns likely have the best shot to supplant the Bengals, as Johnny Manziel has lots of playoff experience and solid weapons around him.

My Pick: Bengals

The Titans have ran the division in recent years, but Peyton Manning isn't walking through that door again. Bob Diaco is under increasing pressure to win in London, given that he has a very talented squad that is collectively in their prime. Can Jerrod Heard prove he's finally a top tier QB in the NFL?

My Pick: Black Knights (Titans, Wildcard)

Justin Farrington II led the Chargers to the playoffs in his second year and will look to improve on that success in year 3. Given that the other teams in the division have unproven offenses, I wouldn't put it past San Diego to get there again.

My Pick: Chargers

One of the deeper divisions in football features the offensive juggernaut Eagles, who won the division crown last year. The Cowboys have a talented offense but weak defense, the Redskins were a wildcard team last year, and the Giants look much improved after a tough 2021.

My Pick: Eagles (Cowboys and Redskins, wildcards)

The Packers have been to four of the last eight Super Bowls and look just as strong as ever with two-time NFL MVP Michael O'Connor under center. Another playoff team from last year, the Russell Wilson-led Vikings, will give them a run for their money, but the Packers should cruise.

My Pick: Packers

The Falcons won the division last year, but Tim Tebow hung it up after the season and their new quarterback was found in Week 4 of the Preseason. The Saints have an unproven Asiantii Woulard at QB, and the Bucs are banking on Brock Osweiler. Pass. Look for the Panthers, who have one of the most complete teams in the NFC, to return to the postseason after a two-year absence.

My Pick: Panthers

The 49ers were the top team in the NFC last year before an early playoff exit at the hands of the Packers, Aaron Rodgers' former team. Though the Niners have a weaker receiver group, every other team has major question marks on offense that will prevent them from getting a shot at the postseason.

My Pick: 49ers

Playoff Picks:

AFC: Byes - Bengals, Black Knights

Wildcard:
Patriots over Chargers
Dolphins over Titans

Divisional:
Bengals over Patriots
Black Knights over Dolphins

Conference Champ:
Black Knights over Bengals

NFC: Byes - Eagles, 49ers

Wildcard:
Panthers over Redskins
Packers over Cowboys

Divisional:
Packers over 49ers
Eagles over Panthers

Conference Champ:
Eagles over Packers

Super Bowl:
Eagles over Black Knights

Diaco Era UConn Players in NFL

PositionPlayerTeamYearOverallDepth
DECam Stapleton49ers5th851st
CRyan SmelleyChargers2nd752nd
OTJoshua ParrishEagles3rd752nd
CBShav WadeColtsRookie734th
FSRoss SinclairGiants2nd722nd
WRRashad HarrisRaiders2nd685th
QBIsaac JacksonCowboysRookie663rd
RBLuke WilliamsonBroncosRookie644th
FREE AGENTS
DE Sam Rourke2nd75
DTT.J. Newell3rd68
LBJohn CoxRookie63
LBMarcus Bradford2nd59
DEAltarri GardnerRookie59
GVince JonesRookie53
LB Thomas WillisRookie52
UNKNOWN/RETIRED
RBJosh Marriner5th82
CBJamar Summers5th73
RB Jeff McNeal2nd56

Slightly disappointing that none of these guys have really become contributors to this point: Cam Stapleton, however, was a Pro Bowler last year.

Lots of changes as Josh Parrish was traded from the Colts to Eagles in the preseason, Marcus Bradford and T.J. Newell were both cut from the Redskins in the first few weeks of the new season as well. Sam Rourke and Altarri Gardner got camp invites to the Lions and Texans, respectively, but ultimately did not make the 53-man rosters.

Josh Marriner remains unsigned after missing last year with a severe knee injury; at this point, his career may be over. Former UConn All-American Jamar Summers also remains unsigned after spending 2021 out of the NFL. Jeff McNeal also did not receive a camp invite this year and his NFL career is likely over before it began.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker91
Good to see this is still going strong. Loving the in depth reports as always. Not as much talent as in years past but I'm sure you still have high expectations. I won't lie, I've been pushed away from college sports lately because of all the allegations and scandals and other forms of misconduct big programs are going through. Makes me mad guys like Art Briles still have a job in my dynasty. Until I pick back up my controller, I'll just play vicariously through you and Geezy.

Frankly I don't blame you for feeling that way. Watching college sports is still fun for me, but it definitely is not the same knowing that shady goings on are taking place. I wish the NFL and the NBA would finally give in and work toward more elaborate minor league systems (like the MLB and NHL do) to make this pay for play less commonplace. The guys who want to be there and are satisfied with education will be there, and those who want to get paid can go to a pro league, get paid and have another option to develop their skills until they're ready for the big show.

I know it's a little more complicated than that, and it may ruin the business of college sports (because the world is one giant business these days), but could go a long way toward fixing the integrity of the product.

Also, Art Briles is still kicking at Baylor in my dynasty as well. Lucky us, Baylor is back to a mediocre football program in this world. I could (and probably will at some point) edit him out if the game doesn't make him retire first, along with any other rules/law violators who may still be around (Rich Rod, etc.). What I like about the CAC guys is that we can assume all of them are acting legally, fairly and within NCAA bylaws, because we have no evidence to assume otherwise.

Many thanks for the kind words as always, and I hope to see new updates when/if you get the itch to play again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbigmike
I'm liking those offensive skill guys for WMU and Coach Harrison.
I think you guys could be a dark horse in the MAC with Kelly coming over as a grad transfer and teams like CMU, Toledo and Miami-Ohio reloading. Kelly has experience and is a good dual threat guy. You've also got a couple young freshmen behind him, so Kelly is a nice stopgap until they're ready.

Reynolds is actually not your highest rated wideout either - but he's definitely an exciting young guy. I'm really looking forward to seeing how your Broncos can do this year!

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.