Old 03-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #15
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Football coach who is losing his mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Yeah, I feel like most of those are arbitrary. Look, the Seahawks run Cover 3 Match Press about 75% of the time (and Cover 1 Hole Press the rest of the time, which is practically the same D), the 49ers even more so. "Sim" doesn't mean "Random," it means "do what NFL teams do."

Shanahan's offense is friggin' ABOUT rolling out of the pocket. The Chiefs run inside zone 25+ times a game sometimes.

Sometime during the late MaddenMania era, "sim" got redefined as "random" and it annoys me to no end. If my Cover 3 is shutting you down, I should not be required to switch to an easier defense for you to beat.

Exploits should be dealt with, of course. But on a principled, case by case basis, not by dictating people's gameplan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Agree with you 100%. Had a thread talking about this very issue around release time. Limiting a play to 3 or 4 times a game is not at all sim.

I get that such rules can weed out the undesirables, and maybe once you have a good group of members you can be lax, but if they seriously would enforce a rule because someone ran inside zone 6 times from a formation that is not a league for me.

Btw, off topic but I saw Daniel Vavra shared your letter. Awesome. f'n. game.
This is the hard part with sim leagues. Yes, it's not realistic to restrict a play to 3-4 times per game, but Madden doesn't easily allow for the defense to make adjustments to stop certain plays/route combos/gameplans. Players in real life adjust on the fly on their own. In Madden, I have to make those adjustments for 7-8 players on a given play.

I can make global adjustments, but if someone keeps running a certain concept that has more complexity, I can't stop it with a simple fix; I have to make 5-6 adjustments with individual players which the opponent can limit if they snap it quickly.

Unfortunately, I've found these types of strict rules are necessary, or people will take advantage of the limited adaptability of the AI, or the tedious nature of the user making adjustments.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove