View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
scottyp180
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Among 14-21 Year Olds, eSports Are About As Popular To Watch As Football

I don't follow e-sports so I don't know for sure but it seems like there aren't seasons like you see in traditional sports (if I am wrong please correct me). Every time I hear of an e-sports event it's some sort of tournament or championship. I wonder if that is a big part of the appeal. With other sports you need to follow a team through an entire season, which takes months, just to get to the playoffs when games really matter and things get exciting. With esports it seems like every match or event is important.

The other aspect is that most esports games are fast paced, especially compared to traditional sports. Most sporting events (football, basketball, hockey, soccer, etc) are 2+ hour affairs for just one game. Dont think there are many events at esports that take 2 hours for one match. Plus the actual games themselves are usually fast paced and full of action. Where as most sports can be slow or boring at times.

For these reasons I can see why 14-21 year olds might prefer E-sports over real sports.