View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Arod2k9
Rookie

Arod2k9's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The Magic Of Baseball and What it means to you.

Born in the Dominican Republic [emoji1091] in 1980 all I heard was how to get to New York City. I heard it all that money comes from the sky as the rain does and so forth. But for us the quickest way to get to USA was through baseball, it was every kids dream to make it. I have vivid memories of 1986 Houston Astros and New York Mets highlights but not from actual video but from kids trying to imitate what they heard in the radio the night before.

Baseball is in my blood as my father won batting titles in the Southern region of DR from 1972 -1975 and has told me the story that LA Dodgers sent scouts to sign him. He declined as he felt MLB players didn’t make much and he took his talents to music. He did come to Long Island, NY by 1981 and always send my twin brother and I all the World Series champions T-shirts back to DR. I have pictures in 1982 of Philadelphia Phillies 1980 and 1986 Mets as my favorites.

I always played baseball on the streets even with a made up ball sock and rock inside but I never played it to make it. It was always fun times and never look at it as my savior in life. At best had I played organized ball in high school I would of never be the hitter and SS or 2B my father was. My favorite player of all time is Don Mattingly fittingly since I arrived to NYC in 1990. I imitated him everyday on my afternoon of baseball fun. But honestly I thank my father everyday for instilling baseball in me and I’m fine with it. Baseball is the only sport you can go and relax for conversations to with people you love.

Lastly, even after my fathers declined offer to join Dodgers organization my brother and I were destined to live in Los Angeles. Life is funny at times and baseball will always be part of me and my family. My first son is due at any moment and his first shirt is rookie of the year my wife got him as a tribute to Aaron Judge!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports