View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #21
ggsimmonds
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Is adaptive a.i. in commentary possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
I remember that. Color commentator, Peter, would analyze an instant replay and go "Trent Green - throws a terrific pass here between TWO defenders to get the first down!"

Though Visual Concepts mixed it well, you could tell Green's name was recorded separately from the triggered line for completed passes thrown into double coverage/tight window.

However, the follow up from the play-by-play guy Dan would go "Peter, you know..he's had an impressive showing so far in the first half! How do his stats look?" ...then Peter: "Well, Dan he's thrown for - 165 yards - and - two touchdowns." .....again, mixed very well but still noticeable. More importantly, you got a nice little stat update nestled in there after a big play. Good stuff.

The big difference back then was Visual Concepts used a couple of voice actors with far less time constraints than known broadcast talent. EA Madden found the middle ground there...known broadcast talent but guys with more time in their schedules to record. It worked out very well IMO.

However, they need to take another major step there to be on par with NBA2k and/or MLB the Show.
I specifically remember Chris Berman in the halftime show and how bad anything sounded if it involved Terrell Owens. It sounded like when they recorded him saying TO's name he said it excitedly so me and my friends got a kick out of it.
"He completes a pass to --Terrell Owens!!11!! -- for 32 yards
Advertisements - Register to remove