View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #1546
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

2022 Recruiting Update #1

One of the things I promised myself to a better job at this season was with reporting recruiting. I like how Hellisan and Deegeezy in particular do regular updates instead of every so often as I’ve done in the past and wanted to change my approach as such. Particularly as this class is quite important for our future considering who we’re targeting, I want to keep things updated often.

So, let’s talk recruiting! Still very early in the season, but here’s an early look at who we are talking to. On the heels of national title #2, naturally some of the nation's top recruits are expressing interest in coming to Storrs/E. Hartford. Despite this, I don't think the class as a whole is very strong, and I think our chances of putting together a top class is slim. This is irrelevant though as I've yet to pull in a Top-10 class in eight seasons - so hopefully we can snag some gems and coach them up! There are several kids I like a lot and would be elated to pull in.

I’ll keep this board updated as we add/drop players and as targeted players begin to commit later in the season.

As far as the contents of the board, we have quite a few needs this season at the following positions:

TIGHT END

After watching three tight ends leave the team in the last two years, we’ve let the position thin out and we need to make a conscious effort to improve there through our recruiting -- we hope to sign at least two. Tate McCall and Evan Jeppesen are my top choices in this class, and they compliment each other well. McCall is a blocking tight end, while Jeppesen makes his mark more as a receiver. Both should be able to compete for a starting job(s?) immediately, alongside new starter Alex Paige and young freshmen Kenny Graves and Josh Mirvil.

LINEBACKER

A spot that we were once quite deep at has thinned out considerably in recent years due to graduation, and while we have some ideas as to replacements, we’re on the lookout for more depth. We’ve got three senior starters for four spots and I fully expect our young star Jevon Sapp to turn pro after this season. I like Marshawn Dortch, Avan Goulding and Colorado transfer Marlon Bush, but we need more behind them as Vasean Gatewood, Scott Sarria and Jayson Meier need more time to develop.

Payton Ash is my #1 on the entire recruiting board - just as Lonte’ Speier, Jordan Brown and Chamarkelle Byrom were must-haves for us two years ago, Ash is someone I feel we need to sign. Early tape suggests that Ash is tremendously talented and polished for someone his age and is a solid athlete with good size, though we’d love to see him put on some weight. If all four starters this year are in fact gone at the end of the year, I can see a scenario where Goulding moves inside and Ash starts from Day One on the outside in our 3-4 look.

We have also begun scouting a handful of inside linebackers - Kennard Young and Kerdarius Barber will get most of our attention. I’m not sure either will be ready immediately, but both have potential to start down the line and provide solid depth until then.

DEFENSIVE END

A poor offseason development wise from several of our young linemen forces us to reevaluate who we have on the edge and look at new blood to challenge them - we already lose a starter in James Mandrell after this season anyhow.

Amari Hunt is ready to start for us right now - getting him would be huge toward building for the future. We’ll have to outlast bigger programs for his services though, particularly Ohio State and Michigan. Andre Cwik and Quayshaun Wise are other highly touted prospects I like who may not be able to challenge for a starting job right away, but if they work hard they have bright futures for us.

OFFENSIVE LINE

We’ve had some trouble developing recruits at these spots in recent years, so we’re swinging for the fences this year. At the top of my list is Pennsylvania native Naquan Foster, the top guard in the country, to bolster our interior and team with Korey Davis-Love for years to come.

The other name at the top is Cole Monroe, a tackle from Ohio. He would be a taylor-made replacement for Kevin Jones, who is graduating at the end of the year, as he has ideal size for a blind side protector while his skill and technique are undeniable.

Matt Greene and Taevion Ellis are the other four-star line prospects on my board; we’ve been targeting center as well with a trio of three-star prospects in Francisco Martinez, Deontay Bumbury and Jeremy Thompson on the board. I expect a big time battle for that starting role next year as veteran Lawron Leak is set to graduate this spring.

CORNERBACK

We’re alarmingly thin at corner -- only three guys are scheduled to return in 2023 (for now). We haven’t found any top-line targets at that position, meaning we’re putting our trust in Tory Greening, Linzell Tyson and Kelvin Cooke.

Marquice Lenon and Javion Hartfield are my favorites, but we would be happy with LeShaun Shatner and Brandon House as project recruits.

ELSEWHERE....

I’ve got a lot of athletes on the board who could help fill these positions as well. O.J. Orr is one of the top recruits in the nation and could step in at corner as well as wide receiver or tailback. With Linzell Tyson playing both ways so far, Coach Belichick has likely opened the door for more super utility players such as Orr. As such, we will be looking closely at Rondell Downs, Ardarius Watts, Kyree Brock and Martin Core III to do a bit of the same at wideout and in the secondary, perhaps.

We may not target Elite 11 QB Alex Ferguson heavily as we are relatively deep at QB. However, if Jordan Brown puts together a good season and appeals to the pro scouts (I don’t see any reason why he won’t), Coach Belichick will likely look carefully for Brown’s replacement. Kelly Carlson has been working hard and developing at a good clip. I would be willing to trust him as a starter for a year or two if the situation arose. However, Ferguson has more talent than Carlson does.. And it’s possible that Ferguson could start in his second year on campus. Ferguson reminds me of Bryant Shirreffs, but… better.

Darren Allen would be a nice piece to add to a deep backfield, especially as I think J.P. Byers will go pro after this year and Mike Molden is now a veteran and is set to depart the program anytime in the next two seasons. However, Allen is certainly not a necessity and will be treated as more of a luxury. We will not be too upset if we lose this race.

Same for Allen goes for wideouts Ben Hilliard and John Pratt. But with no expected departures from our already talented and deep wideout group at the end of the year… imagine the targets we could have for next year when these two join Lonte’ Speier, Chamarkelle Byrom, Marcus Rodgers, Devin Brown, Drew Talley and Collin Miranda… I’m salivating already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknick3822
Oooo Freday is going down!
Love the smack! You better be able to back it up though!

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.