View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
Aestis
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

- High threshold (80-90) is realistic in terms of actual speed differences between players, if you go by in-game speed vs 40 times. Meaning, high threshold is where you get a realistic difference between what a linemen runs and what a WR runs. It's the realistic difference between a 95 SPD 40 time and an 88 SPD 40 time. Test results are somewhere in page ~5-7ish I think of my user slider thread in the slider forums (RFF's 32-man User v User sliders).

- High threshold makes man coverage much better (read: legitimately viable). You're going to get more cool WR/DB ball animations at the point of catch. WRs wrestling for the ball, DBs swatting at hands to disrupt the catch. This means more catches "in traffic," so personally I'd up catching slider as it goes hand in hand. Man coverage has become a staple (meaning, called 40% or more) of a number of very very good defenses in my 32-man league and high threshold is the key reason, even more than the coverage sliders. And I mean all kinds... C2 man press, standard C1, etc...we have a cool mix of man-heavy teams and zone-heavy teams now. Doubt you will find that on default sliders.

- Obviously speed is minimized with high threshold, but we don't often talk about what takes its place. Acceleration & agility become even more important. Non-ratings things like momentum & pursuit angles become important. You will see slower linemen or LBs catch a faster RB from behind if it's in the first few steps of them getting the ball and they don't have a free runway to accelerate. You will also see this in the NFL, but some folks want to pretend this never happens. Since players are tighter, you get more animations. I consider this a neat side effect, but if you are anti-animation in all ways regardless of the cost, then I would not advise high SPD threshold.

- Net effect: higher threshold = tougher defense. In a game that almost always needs tougher defense. Fewer of what I would call non-read gimme TDs because a WR just straight outran a professional starting caliber CB by 5-10 yds.

- I don't think threshold has a huge impact on zone coverage. Obviously some small effects, like a slower DB who is playing 5-8 yds off the LOS at the snap isn't in much danger of being burned on a streak (realistic) unlike low threshold when even then they could be in danger. I shouldn't say they are NEVER in danger, though. Even on high threshold, if the QB has a ton of time in the pocket, and the DB/WR speed discrepancy is particularly large, and the QB has the THP to launch it waaay downfield...that throw *can* be hit. But that's pretty rarely which is how it should be. No professional DB should be in serious danger of losing to a vert route if they're aligned in off coverage in a C3 shell without biting on some kind of fake.

- In short, if you think that if Player A has 91 SPD they should always outrun player B (89 SPD) in virtually every scenario, then high threshold is not for you. Speed absolutely still matters at 80-90 threshold. Speed WRs are dangerous if you leave them on an island vs a slower DB....but that is far from an automatic TD like on default or lower. Speed backs still break huge gains, even more often than the NFL...but SPD isn't the end-all be-all.

- I also wouldn't advise high threshold if tough defense is not your thing. And if you play short quarters, then tough defense maybe *shouldn't* be your thing unless you want very low scores. If your games have half the snaps of an NFL team, then offense needs to be twice as easy for you to get realistic end-game scores & raw yardage numbers. Your per-play offensive success will be off-the-charts wildly powerful. But there's no way around that math.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues

Last edited by Aestis; 04-23-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove