View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #37
Aestis
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
But doesn’t that make the game play like Tecmo Bowl?

Ultimately at some point every person who wants to customize gameplay, in this case via sliders, is going to have to choose between two philosophies: balancing for visual realism or balancing for realistic outcomes.

It's not a trivial decision and many may not even realize they're making it. But as Madden 18 is not a perfect simulation of real life and kinda doubt M19 is suddenly going to be either, you occasionally must choose between these two ideas that stand at opposition.

While I can measurably say low threshold is not going to lead to the most realistic outcomes in the passing game, I can't submit a strong argument against someone who said, "Low threshold feels smoother to me and the animations/interactions feel more realistic to me." Because 1) there may be some truth to it, 2) what looks & feels realistic or smooth is much tougher to quantify and can be different person to person.

Wanted to put this idea out there, because I've found that sometimes slider discussions are in two different languages. Obviously the holy grail is something that accurately reflects NFL gameplay visually while also providing realistic outcomes, but that's often not possible. Gotta know what you're going for.

99% of what I aim for is outcome-based, but that's not the only definition of realism.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues