View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #45
JoshC1977
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Give me all your discoveries about how tweaking speed threshold affects gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
Higher threshold. My point is that people who think default threshold doesn't give enough separation because "they want speed to matter" don't have a good grasp of what speed differences truly look like in real life.

I mention "all the other stuff" because pads, press technique, alignment, etc. can make an already hair-slim difference in speed disappear altogether on many plays, but there are those who want a 4-6 spd rating difference to automatically result in 5+ yds of separation because they consider that realistic. When that is simply not based in reality. That's why a simple burner WR in the NFL is a guarantee of nothing: 1.5 yds of separation 40 yds down the field can evaporate pretty quick if the WR doesn't have good release technique & isn't a threat to run crisp routes so that slower DBs can sell out vs verticals, even from a press. But in Madden, many players want a burner WR to always get separation on slower DBs, as if SPD rating is the primary method of separation in the NFL (it's not: see picture above).

I will continue to beat the drum for high threshold for anyone whose goal is realistic outcomes. If someone simply doesn't like the look of animations at high threshold due to players being much closer together, fair enough. But in terms of getting the closest Madden can get to NFL-like outcomes, high threshold is objectively and measurably the choice, and it's not close.
You can build a slider set around any threshold and have it animate "realistically". There are advantages/disadvantages to all of them. If you isolate threshold with default sliders, then yeah, low thresh is going to look REALLY bad (as does high thresh). But just as you have compensated for high thresh with your set, you can also compensate for low thresh and get an equally good outcome. The question is which player rating you want to matter more, acceleration (low thresh) or speed (high thresh).
Advertisements - Register to remove