View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #6
edgevoice
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Article on EA financials leaves little doubt what Madden 19 focus will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
It’s just so funny, sad, and unfortunate how popular MUT became, in terms of overall game development. And, I’ll never understand anyone’s fascination with the mode. I don’t know the first madden/fifa to have MUT, but I still remember the first time I looked at it in madden, and thought, wth is this? Why in the world would I want to collect ‘digital cards’? I want to play football with my fav team(s). I don’t want to play with some mix mash group and constantly have to level up players (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, etc, whatever). Lol ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe fantasy football and free agency helped to pave the way for MUT. I remember being in a sports bar watching my Cowboys play. After we scored, a dude in a Redskins cap was cheering. I looked over at him and before I could say a word he tells me Witten is on his fantasy team. That moment really stuck. It was a brand new world....

Like you mentioned, it's just plain smart business sense to put significant resources towards a game mode that will generate the most revenue. The sad fact is that people who enjoy a sim experience are not going to be catered to in the same manner as MUT players.

If EA wants to keep franchise mode alive, it really should be built as a stand-alone game using a similar platform that Head Coach did. Make improvements to CPU playcalling via improved gameplans. Allow for more in-depth user gameplans, rather than the ridiculous 9 play window we are currently restricted to. Also, allow for the user to bring his gameplan to practice mode and be able to set up specific situations ie; redzone, 3rd down, 2 minute, etc.... Finally, devote the resources needed to improve across-the-board CPU gameplay. While Madden 17 improved zone defenses, man coverage was never tuned correctly. For instance, no matter how you shade your receiver, a comeback route almost always triggers CB ice slide animation. Once that has been attained, some added features would be welcomed from there on out, after a stable and playable game has been clearly established.

MUT is here to stay and it's obvious that many folks really enjoy playing that mode. Having said that, a stand-alone playable version similar to Head Coach for sim style players makes more sense, rather than trying to build one game to please everyone.