View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
apollo1980
Rookie

OVR: 0
Losing online 42-7, but I still “win” the game

I was playing Madden 18 online yesterday. And it went like this ...

I had the Vikings, opponent had the Falcons.

Opening drive, Falcons up 7-0.

My first drive, nothing.

Next Falcons drive, 2 plays, another touchdown.

Then Falcons score again. Not 2 minutes off the game clock in the 1st quarter, opponent is winning 21-0.

So I go into “whatever” mode. Letting the cpu call and play the defense, as I’m outclassed.

Next possession, I punt on 1st down. Hoping Madden’s history of having bad things happen to good players (my opponent, not me) jinxes him, to help me out and make things competitive. Madden has a history of cpu interceptions or fumbles happening, to benefit the player who is losing.

Opponent scores the next play, now he’s up 28-0.

As the 2nd quarter is about to start, Madden asks me, because I’m getting blown out and I’m outmatched, if I want to concede.

I say no.

I decide to make this a learning experience, zoom out on the field all the way, to watch the mastery of my opponent, hoping to learn a thing or two.

He scores again, now he’s up 35-0.

I asked my opponent for a friendly quit.

He says no.

It’s gotten so ridiculous, I want to see if I can lose 100-0. So on my next possession, I punt on 1st down...

And there is my phantom turnover. He messed up the surprise punt. So I have the ball on his 35.

Now, do I bother to try to score, or at least get into position to kick a field goal, and get on the board?

Absolutely not. I’m on a quest to lose 100-0.

So, for the next 4 plays, my QB takes a knee. And I wait until the play clock is almost all the way down to snap the ball.

Now, it’s his ball at his own 40.

He drives down the field, and scores another touchdown.
Now he’s up 42-0.

Because he’s scoring so fast, and I’m having the CPU call all my defensive plays, we are half way into the 2nd quarter, and the game has almost taken as long as it takes a full game to run.

My opponent pauses the game, and asks me if I want a friendly quit.

I say no...I’m out to lose 100-0!

I punt on first down with my next “drive.”

My opponent drives down the field. Then, a gift from the CPU.

Interception. On the goal line.

The interception is run back by my defensive player for 100 yards, and a touchdown.

Darn it, now I’m on the board.

Score is now 42-7, in favor of my opponent.

There’s a little over a minute left in the second quarter.

Then, my opponent decides to let the clock run out on him, and take a 5 yard delay of game penalty...Not by walking up to the line of scrimmage and not taking the snap, or making a mistake.

He never called the play.

He does this twice in a row.

I’m waiting to see if he does it a third time in a row, but he decides to call a play. So I let my computer defense call a play, and I wait to see what happens.

He continues to call plays, and slowly drives down the field. But my CPU defense is playing a lot better now, causing him problems.

I call time out when he tries hurry-up offense for my CPU defense to regroup. It drags the game out that much longer.

We’re now at the point where the game has gone on so long, we could have played 1 1/2 games at this point...but we still have under a minute in the second quarter.

Eventually, there is an offensive play to be called by him...and he doesn’t call it.

Then a prompt by Madden that he’s been kicked from the game due to excessive grieving.

So, my quest to lose the game 100-0, or, actually, 100-7, was ruined by my opponent abandoning the game.

How dare he. I didn’t quit. But he did ... in my moment of glory.

I really wanted to add the massive loss statistic to my arsenal of Madden moments, but I got robbed!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by apollo1980; 05-10-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove