View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: If You Were in Charge of Madden: What Is Your Five-Year Plan (Roundtable)

My creative vision for Madden:

- transition Madden away from an annual boxed release to a year-round subscription service. Sports games on consoles are well overdue for this change and non-sports games are already doing this (one notable example is Rainbow Six: Siege). I want Madden to lead the pack in this space amongst my direct peers in sports games. I assume this transition will require a major technical investment over the entire five years, especially for modes like Ultimate Team and Franchise, so I want to start it today. Once the game is adapted to the subscription model, I'll begin delivering new content to leverage that new position.

- double down on gameplay mechanics across the board, on and off the field. I want to lower the skill floor and raise the skill ceiling at every position on the field, and I want to create unique gameplay mechanics for different player types to increase roster diversity in all gameplay modes. The goal for this investment is to make an 11-v-11 online game of Madden fun to play for all players regardless of position. I also want to create more roster management mechanics in Franchise and Ultimate Team to make the meta of Madden more interesting, increase the game's authenticity where appropriate to do so, etc.

- make User vs CPU an adequate training tool for User vs User. I've said this before elsewhere, but it's worth repeating. The user has a massive toolbox at its disposal in Madden, and in my previous bullet point I propose continued investment into that toolbox. The game needs to actively make users aware these tools exist, the CPU needs to organically use all these tools, and the game needs to point out when use of these tools succeeds and fails so the user may learn from his gameplay mistakes. A more organic and skilled CPU opponent makes all single-player game modes better simultaneously.

- add components to Franchise and Ultimate Team to make each mode a more engaging and social experience. Specific to Franchise mode: I want to integrate Twitch and allow league members to broadcast their games within Madden; for example, if I log into Madden and my brother is in the middle of his game, the first thing I want to see on the franchise hub is a live feed of his game in progress. I want to collate highlights captured by my console or Twitch and present them in my team's hub for other users to see. I want to lift Story Builder from NCAA and allow custom content generation (such as what many people do in dynasty tracker threads) to happen natively within Madden. I want a much better companion app which broadcasts user-generated content, highlights, roster moves, game results, and all other activity to my phone so I can keep track of what's going on in my online league while I'm away from my console.

- continue development of Longshot on the back of last year's praise, but position it as a new user teaching tool. New users aren't going to be able to just jump right in to Madden and succeed, one-button "easy" modes are insulting to their intelligence, and removed from the appropriate context of Franchise mode Skills Trainer becomes a boring check list. I'd use Longshot to gradually introduce the controls of the game to users to get them at least ready to start attacking the rest of the game.