View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #37
ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: If You Were in Charge of Madden: What Is Your Five-Year Plan (Roundtable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
If you run QB contain and use a spy, the QB will run less. What changing the traits do is allow you to defend him in the same way you would any other QB. The threat of a run forces teams to avoid man to man and give up a defender to just spy.

So yeah, you can "fix" this by changing attributes, but it's really just dumbing down the game. I prefer to have to actually change my defensive style based on the talent and tendencies of my opponent.
And I'd prefer the talent and tendencies of my opponent to mimic the NFL instead of MUT tournaments, and be challenging BECAUSE of that. I.e., a game where realistic football play yields an advantage rather than a disadvantage. For example, in the real NFL, the Patriots will often come out passing a lot, and then run a lot after they have a lead in the second half (not always, but that is the general trend). Tom Brady is a great QB in real life AND in the game, yet in the game the Patriots are easy to beat because they underutilize Tom Brady compared to the real Patriots, because Tiburon just goes by a play call ratio instead of situational exceptions to play-calling. The so-called "adjustments" you speak of, if done right, would result in Tom Brady passing more early in a game, especially if the secondary is weak, instead of blindly following a pass/rush ratio like the game does now.

Another example: The CPU playing press coverage when I have a 96 speed WR on the outside. That is something that flies in the face of what BOTH of us want: it's not sim (no team is playing press cover zero against Randy Moss), and it shows a complete failure of the CPU to adapt to what's going on on the field.

What you say you want is not mutually exclusive with making Madden a football simulation. But an engine from 2006 that's been patched and tweaked for more than a decade isn't the way to get that done.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 05-13-2018 at 08:42 AM.