View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #101
khaliib
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: More info on RPM, Zone AI, signature styles in Madden 19

It’s been thrown at Clint several times that if 2k Basketball can do it, why can’t Madden.

He gave a great example of something that seems so simple to do on paper, but much more complex to build in football where the moving parts are extremely exponential to what’s needed in BBall.

His example was a WR sitting down in a zone on a Pass Play.
Seems simple, but he asked a simple question of “when should the WR be told/coded” to decelerate and sit?

***this lead me to flesh out his question even further
1) when should Player be told in the code when deceleration should began within their route?
- how much deceleration should be applied

2) where should they be told to stop “with in the code”?

3) what are the defensive keys that that AI will use to determine a) deceleration, b) Stop?

4) when Def keys are dynamically moving zone sphere around/near WR, where should WR slide to be open?
a) what direction to slide?
b) how soon should WR began to slide?

This is not even half of the AI cerebral considerations needed just to get a WR to sit in a zone.

Player ratings that make up the physical characteristics of a player has to be accounted for also to achieve any aspect of Player Differentiation from one player to another.
1) what level/Threshold should the rating used to accomplish a) be set at?

Then on the flip side, def players have to be told what to do for each possible WR using the logic and the variable situations that could occur to have balance.

Then there’s 4 Difficulty Levels and the different impact each will have on the AI.

Then altered User Slider impacts.

You still have to incorporate die-roll outcomes for variable CIT, Ball Knockout situations etc...

All this and much more just to have a WR sit in a zone on a pass play.

Football is a different beast compared to the complexities other sports have to deal with.

Side note dealing with the constant 2K references as “they did it”.

I love me some 2K5 still to this day, but one major notation about their VIP System folks who reference this, fail to mention is that the VIP System override the Player Differentiation that the player ratings produced.

Yep, it was a “Global” application that forced every AI player no matter their ratings, to adhere to the Adaptive Logic.

This was a major flaw I really hated, because now the individual teams or players involved play no role in the success/failure against what the User was doing.
- there were a lot of tricks/animation manipulation used to give the perception of AI “Adaptability”, but it wasn’t really Adaptive.

There’s no sports game today that has been able to nail this down, so a lot of the same tricks/animation manipulation is still being used by games taunting Adaptive AI capability.

I’m really curious about the answer/responses to this question...

Matched up against millions of variable user gamer skill levels, when is it cheating/OP dealing with the “Cerebral Application” of the AI?
Advertisements - Register to remove