View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #7
MDSavageBeast
Rookie

MDSavageBeast's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA LIVE 18 vs NBA 2K18 OVERALL COMPARISON CHAT

I've been playing 2K since 2K9. I was in and out with it during my college years so the games that I have played heavily are 2K11, 2K12, 2K15, 2K16, 2K17, and this year's installment.

Word to the wise: I'm a MyCareer-type of player. I'm done with 5v5 basketball games because it's just boring to me now.

Playing Live was SO fun compared to 2K because I felt like I was able to reasonably grind my player to a reasonable level and be able to compete. 2K was great with MyCareer initially but then once microtransactions came into play, it turned me off. I'm wise with my money, so I'm not going to splurge X amount of dollars more (in addition to the $60) on a video game. 2K18's gameplay is great (has it's errors but what game doesn't) but the greediness of 2K rubs me the wrong way. This game is NOT for the casual gamer to enjoy, which is dumb in my opinion. I work full-time so I don't have time to play the game as much, but when I am playing it's kinda like "What's the point?" It takes months to get your player to a respectable level to where people will play with you at the Park (stopped playing park months ago). Pro-Am/Walk-On is normally what I do now, but even then, the grind to get your player to "99 overall" really shot this game in the foot.

Anyway, I ended borrowing my bro's NBA Live and I enjoyed it. Not perfect at all, but feels like less of a grind/burden than 2K which may be the direction that I personally need to go in to enjoy basketball gaming again.

That being said, I'm not buying 2K19 next year, which is going to be different for me since I've been playing it hard for so long... even though I, like a lot of people, was raised on NBA Live (Live 2005 is still one of the best games, comparable to 2K11). I'm going all in on Live next year due to the price difference, casual play, and better (in my opinion) career mode.