View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #29
Aestis
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 19 Gameplay Details - One Cut, Push the Pile, RPO, New Kickoff Rules & Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I think this is something that also applies to the majority of the user base as well. I was going to mention it before but I think largely one of the reasons coverage has leaned more towards poor in recent years is because of that same thing you mentioned about CPU logic happening with the average user base. We kind of saw that with the EAPlay to release last year. But open to them constitutes a receiver having 3-5 yards of separation which should be pretty rare and is a shame because when you can get WR/DB interactions is when the game plays the best IMO. I think something they should try to do is make an effort to teach users that it's okay, and often advantageous, to throw into what might be perceived as coverage. There's likely a myriad of issues that need be rectified before they're able to do that like ability for better ball placement, receivers that consistently fight for the ball and probably most importantly more of emphasis on knockdowns than defenders always being able to get into a position to pick a pass off. Hopefully RPM can help with that last one because I think that's really where it needs to start. I'm also hoping that with the information out there that the QB AI will take less sack it inherently means they'll be more aggressive. Really interested to see how that turns out.

Until this happens, speed WRs will continue to rule the day disproportionate to their actual skill/OVR. Sliders can minimize this gap (threshold/coverage), but they can't fix it entirely, just mitigate somewhat.

Throwing to a big bodied possession WR with great hands who 'has position' on his man should be a solid decision. In current state, it's likely a WR/DB animation resulting in a drop/knock-out...and besides, somewhere else on the field, a 68 OVR WR with 95 SPD has beaten his 85 OVR DB by 5+ yds. Throw it to him instead. Conversely, running man with a mismatch should usually mean that, a reception... but not a guy open by a mile who RACs for 30+ yds and often a TD.

I'll give EA somewhat of a pass here in that the more realistic coverage gets, the less scoring you'll see. EA has to balance it so 5 min quarters in H2H still result in several TDs, which by definition means a WAY higher % of drives ending in TDs than you'll find in the NFL's 115-140 snap games. To do that you need to make big plays much easier to find, which means you need coverage & pursuit angles to be weaker. If you calibrated NFL-like gameplay to H2H snap counts, you'd have offenses average 7-10 ppg (meaning, many teams only scoring 0-3)... which nobody would find enjoyable. That's a design issue that isn't easy to solve, because "just make it more realistic" isn't the answer we all want it to be.

I just hope at some point they allow longer-quarter players more tools to bring their games more in line with NFL gameplay a la the more realistic coverage/defense that they are clearly capable of developing when they think it'll be fun.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues

Last edited by Aestis; 06-11-2018 at 05:23 PM.