Old 06-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
Cato06
Rookie

Cato06's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Thoughts on today's Madden presentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
Just some thoughts from a cinematographer and filmmaker.

What I find interesting, not having played Madden since about 2011 (I've just been playing older NFL games since then) is that when you don't play it every year, the little things people get sick of don't bother you because you don't know them as well. For example, The Show is an uninspired mess to me today but I've been playing it since MLB 06 The Show on PS2. But having recently tried Madden 18 one thing I absolutely can NOT stand is the overuse of what is supposed to look like natural camera movements to recreate a television feel. From the moment the play stops, the camera starts flying around like its on some out of control drone that can't just sit still.

Being a cinematographer and filmmaker this is something that particularly bothers me because I can see clearly a graphics team trying to reproduce television framing and camera movement but without ANY concept of what's involved in shooting a live broadcast. The people controlling how the "camera" moves in game development need to spend some time with cinematographers holding cameras, moving them around, to get a sense of what things look like when you shoot with a camera. This is why NFL2K, the NHL2K series and even some earlier Maddens feel more realistic presentation-wise than today's sports games (this goes for today's NHL and FIFA as well). It's because those games really focused on how television cameras move. They aimed to look like TV broadcasts. The first impression I get of Madden's visuals is that the game is flooded with unnatural movements that aren't true to what cameras can do, depth perception is completely incorrect, zooms and pans don't reflect ANYthing that real cameras can do, and the UI doesn't distinguish itself enough from the background visuals so, everything just looks like a muddy mess. I played a whole game of Madden 18 yesterday, I couldn' tell you after a whole game of calling plays what all the options are on the playcall screen because it's so cluttered, I never got to look at everything.

Again, the people at EA who do the animations and simulated camera movements need to get themselves in some kind of cinematography workshop to actually SHOOT video with different cameras. Right now, the game just visually doesn't work well and I wanted to give a professional cinematographic reason why for anyone interested.
this is something i always complain about every year. The presentation just doesnt seem to have any rhyme or reason to it. Every game feels the same whether is a preseason game or the conference championship. Presentation needs a huge upgrade.

this is a thread i created months ago that brought up similar points.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...sentation.html