Old 06-14-2018, 01:48 AM   #37
CarryTheWeight
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Franchise Blog should be out Thursday

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87
I agree entirely. I'm a big fan of Gaudin and Davis. Find a better way to incorporate Larry Ridley as well as future season occurrences and commentary will be great. There were very few lines that felt repetitive to me in the past year of playing Madden 18. I honestly don't think I could start quoting them until after the super bowl this year. Big accomplishment on their part. The same could not be said in the past

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
Agreed, this was some of the best commentary this series ever had. I love the anecdotes about players, the full name callouts after sacks/picks/TD's, the obscure "little things" you hear every once in a while...commentary is right up there with FIFA and, with enough work, might make it to levels of NBA 2K. I know Larry also gets a lot of mixed reviews among the community but I've always thought he was really enthusiastic about his role.

I think direction and tech are the main factors holding Ridley back, and I think if the halftime show was more engaging as a feature, a lot more people would watch. You almost feel bad for the guy when you want to play a quick game and have to skip (thanks to Brandon and his pretty funny commentary). I'll go as far to say that Larry's lines are almost what we saw from Chris Berman in 2K5, just without the 3D model and less nicknames/catchphrases. A little more specific here and there, and a bit less stitched/robotic delivery and it'll be great.

Overall, I think the commentary is as great as it's ever been. We've had to endure some really phoned-in stuff from more established names over the last decade, so getting a young, enthusiastic team in there willing to work around their schedules to add new stuff is a great move. Charles Davis is becoming one of my favorite analysts IRL, his on-air style translates perfectly to the game.