View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
CarryTheWeight
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Thoughts on today's Madden presentation

This is an excellent post. I don't have much to add except: the strange panning motion after every play has been on my nerves for a while, and the inconsistency between camera positioning/motion/angles is just strange. They'll hit you with a shot that looks like it could have been on a real-life broadcast for around 10 seconds, then cut to a strange-looking shot of a player on the ground and then, without flaw, zoom/pan to a coach halfway across the field just seconds later. There's a strange perfection to it, almost as if all of the camera crew were replaced by sentient AI.

I work in local sports production, so it's always nice to see a professional perspective on Madden's strange decision making. It just doesn't know what type of visual style it wants to have and I think it's because the developers have largely abandoned ideas half way through. Madden 12 was supposed to include real-life angles from each NFL stadium, until 13-17 spent tons of resources on hiring a virtual camera crew from NFL Films for a "beyond broadcast" look. I agree with you in that they need to stick to one identity and perfect it.
Advertisements - Register to remove