View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
RetroDee4Three
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Best Tennis Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I haven't played AO or TWT so I can't comment on those, but you should try Full Ace Tennis if you have a PC. Not a lot of bells and whistles and not that great of presentation, but the gameplay itself is excellent.
I have, and I can't get past three things.

1. The fact that the players don't look like they are hitting the ball most of the time. They are hitting air. I understand that this game clearly doesn't have the budget of some of the other titles, but that hurts the immersion for me.

2. The players feet: moving around feels unnatural, watch the players feet while you are moving side to side and backing up, or going towards a shot. The movement reminds me of Axis Football, it's very similar.

3. The hitting mechanics: Yes, the game is reactive, but the hits look unnatural in most case. The players themselves are stiff from head to toe (again, similar to Axis Football.

I want to point out, I am not trying to insult the game. It seems that a lot of people are getting enjoyment out of it, and it's being modded deeply (Like Tennis Elbow was). It's just not for me. Tennis Elbow was super low budget, but the mechanics were there, the movement was there, the accuracy seemed to be there. I played Elbow for hundreds of hours, so it's not that everything is about visual appeal. What I liked about Elbow was the way the players moved around the court, connected on the ball with shots, and of course the amazing mods.

I'll be sticking with AO for a long time now, Full Ace doesn't do it for me. However, kudos to the developers who put in the work, and those who are modding the game.