Old 06-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #199
4thQtrStre5S
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 19: The Full Interview With Producer Ben Haumiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
While i get what your saying here. Id also point out NBA Live 18( imo ) was a well done basketball game. Yes it has some issues, but i was impressed with not only the gameplay , but all the things they added to it . I really enjoy that game alot. Same with battlefield series. Ill play that over COD any day of the week. But , in no way , do i see the NFL standing over EA , saying , no dont make realistic football ( outside of concussions, players beating their women , etc) . I dont see them telling EA, dont make this awesome .

The real difference is - Battlefield and NBA Live both have something Madden does not , and that is competition. They have no choice but to really improve and be innovative, or be beat out by competition. Live is trying to catch up to 2K. Personally i like both of those games. But lets be honest, the difference is competition and EA knows they have the NFL market cornered.
Competition does help push innovation and risk-taking. Managing Madden is potentially a lot more about maintaining the status quo. They have the numbers that suggest a relatively consistent consumer base. So they can make minor changes to hold their current user base. They add in a Longshot to attract new consumers.

Longshot does provide long-term benefits. The mode, along with Frostbite allow for abilities which can bring the immersion and atmosphere alive. I believe the dynamic scenes in CFM are indicators of more to come. But like many, I am curious why their development seems slower.

As I initially stated, risk and risk aversion can be huge hurdles for a company to overcome. They have an idea of their future with Madden based on past performance. NBA Live has competition, but is a newer endeavor, is it not? The initial push to bring NBA live up to speed is assisted by competition and direct knowledge of what sells or does not sell in a game evenly comparable.

I would add, Madden does have NCAA to look at. I do not recall the sales of NCAA in relation to Madden. I would assume Madden sold more. IMO if Madden sold more than NCAA it was more due to the national popularity of the NFL and its solidarity. I know lots of people love NCAA football, just not sure how many of those fans play video games.

If NCAA has more fans in real life, but the game sold less than Madden, there may be executives who believe that NCAA features are not worth replicating because they may see those NCAA features as not being popular enough to sale. Which could be a huge misjudgment of information.

Anyway, I am rambling. Sorry.