View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #2
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: What Madden Needs Is A Shift In Priorities

I think a big reason why it's going to be a long time before we see a lot of what you wrote about is because the vast majority of Madden players simply do not understand football at the level that some of the most passionate people here do.

For example, I've been playing football video games since I was like five years old in one form or another. However, I never played a single down of organized football because I was too small as a kid and my parents thought it was too dangerous. Even though I understand football today more than almost anyone I know in-person (which is not saying much compared to some people here, none of my friends played organized football either), there's a lot of football concepts I simply don't understand. Just in your post alone, I had no idea what "R4", "spill", "box", "log block", or "TGOG" meant until I went to Google. I have no idea what is proper or improper pass blocking technique. Imagine trying to explain these concepts to someone who doesn't even know what "slot receiver" means, or to someone whose primary interactions with the NFL is watching on Sunday, playing fantasy football, and playing Madden.

To be clear, I'm not saying it's impossible for people who haven't lived a football life to learn these concepts from video games; clearly, it's not. Madden has taught me how pattern-matching zones work, for example; I admit I had no idea what a pattern match zone was before Madden 17 introduced me to the concept. What I am saying, however, is that any advanced concept Madden introduces, Tiburon must also build devices in the game to teach the concept to a gamer population which is probably completely unfamiliar with what the thing is and why it is important. That's a lot more effort.