View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
artoodeetoo
MVP

artoodeetoo's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Royal Rebuild [OOTP 19]

2018 TOP 30 PROSPECTS

Frankly, Dayton left me quite a mess, but back-to-back World Series appearances and a title were worth it, if you ask me. That said, our staff has some real work to do to fix the minor leagues. I've read some publications that have us as having the worst minor league system in baseball. I wasn't around for the Hosmer/Moustakas/Duffy days when the farm system was the envy of baseball, but I'd like to see us get back to that point.

After taking the job a few months ago, I went around to various minor-league camps to meet the coaches and get a first-hand look at some of the talent on hand. As I said, we have work to do, but I'm not convinced that our talent pool is that shallow. These are the top thirty prospects as put forward by a consensus of publications, and my thoughts on the first ten:

1. Khalil Lee, OF (Wilmington): Lee possesses solid raw power, and has a great arm and foot speed, but has slower than desired bat speed, leading to lots of strikeouts. Wouldn't be the top prospect for a lot of teams, but would be in the five to ten range for most clubs.

2. Trevor Oaks, RHP (Omaha): I was one of the biggest advocates to trade for Trevor. He won't overpower with velocity, but can move pitches on command with solid control. May not have a lot of room to grow, but at twenty-five he's the most big-league ready pitcher in the system.

3. Nick Pratto, 1B (Lexington): Pratto has future .300 hitter written all over him. Incredible wrists, bat speed, and plate discipline. That said, his defense is raw and he's not yet filled out, limiting his power potential at this point. Baseball America seems to disagree with me, but dedication in the weight room from him will likely be the difference between star and JAG.

4. Nicky Lopez, SS/2B (NW Arkansas): There are some questions about where he's going to play defensively. He's a shortstop by trade, but he's looked pretty good in limited time at second base, based on film. His arm seems to fit better at second, and his range is plus-plus for the position. His tenacity in his at-bats is also admirable, too. The kid just doesn't strike out very often.

5. Emmanuel Rivera, 3B (Wilmington): Impressed at Single-A Lexington last year with a .310/.364/.468 line, earning him a promotion to Wilmington for 2018. Brought up as a shortstop initially, but outgrew the position, and has the arm and range for a steady 3B.

6. Tylor Fischer, RHP (Burlington): The first B-Royal shows up on this list, with the reed-thin (6'3", 165-lb.) Fischer. Drafted in the 28th round last year, he missed all of last season with a knee injury. He's returned with a vengeance; enough to show up in the number-six spot. His frame has room to grow, and already throws in the low 90's with three solid, MLB-future pitches.

7. Michael Gigilotti, OF (Lexington): Burst onto the scene with a .320/.420/.456 line in 291 PA between Burlington and Lexington last year. He'll start in Lexington, but I think we'll try to take things a little slower with him now. Arguably the best pure CF in the system; doesn't have a great arm or raw power, but runs like a deer and doesn't give away AB's.

8. Seuly Matias, OF (Burlington): This may be the kid I'm most excited about. Big, strong kid with tons of room to grow. Bit of a loopy swing, but has enough strength to make pitchers pay for mistakes in the middle-third. The best part may be that he can play any outfield position, but RF with his bazooka arm (70 out of 80) and range is his best bet. Just 19, has the chance to progress quickly with a hot start.

9. Eric Skoglund, LHP (Kansas City): His Twitter handle says it all (@LBstheZone). Lanky lefty that possesses otherworldly command, but a lack of velocity means he'll be dealing with traffic on the basepaths an awful lot. Hopefully, pitching in a spacious ball park keeps his HRA numbers down.

10. Scott Blewett, RHP (Wilmington): A bit raw, but has a good frame that can add weight. Fastball is a little too straight, but his secondary pitches are commanded well. His curveball is a 12-6 pitch that rarely goes 60 feet 6; still somehow gets outs.

11. Chase Vallot, C (Wilmington)
12. M.J. Melendez, C (Lexington)
13. Carlos E. Hernandez, RHP (Burlington)
14. Meibrys Viloria, C (Wilmington)
15. Daniel Tillo, LHP (Lexington)
16. Foster Griffin, LHP (NW Arkansas)
17. Evan Steele, LHP (Idaho Falls)
18. Heath Fillmyer, RHP (Omaha)
19. Matt Morales, SS (Lexington)
20. Brad Keller, RHP (Omaha)
21. Josh Staumont, RHP (Omaha)
22. Garrett Davila, LHP (Lexington)
23. Jeison Guzman, SS (Royals DSL #1)
24. Richard Lovelady, LHP (Omaha)
25. Isaiah Smith, OF (Burlington)
26. Jaret Hellinger, LHP (Idaho Falls)
27. Gerson Garabito, RHP (Wilmington)
28. Andres Machado, RHP (NW Arkansas)
29. Zach Lovvorn, RHP (NW Arkansas)
30. Axsel Jimenez, RHP (Royals DSL #1)

Last edited by artoodeetoo; 06-27-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove