Old 06-30-2018, 01:23 AM   #44
Rocky
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: What Madden Needs Is A Shift In Priorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
No, not at all. That's not what I don't like about FOF, clearly.

FOF feels too much like OOTP. And that feel, that stat-heavy, pure numbers and odds feel, is appropriate for baseball. For football, I can't think tactically because every play is in isolation. The CPU doesn't adjust to my team, it has a percentage chance of calling any given play. They don't call a cover 3 to get 8 in the box because I'm tearing them up in the run game, they call a cover 3 because they call cover 3 in this situation 38% of the time and the dice roll dictated it's time.

Baseball is much less tactically complex. You might send the runner to create a hole in the infield or bunt a guy to 3rd if you've got a power hitter coming up next, but you know how the defense is going to react to these and you can't really 'fake' one thing to pull the outfield out of position. You can more or less simulate the sport in one-on-one isolation plays and have a pretty accurate reflection of the game. In football, every individual action affects the play, and every play affects the next one. There is no isolating what happens on a football field.

Who caused the dropped pass? Was it the FS hitting the receiver as the ball arrived? Was in the DT who pressured the QB into a bad pass? Was in the QB who repositioned into the DTs path? Was it the DE who clubbed inside against the T to force the QB off his spot? Was it the T who over positioned outside to stop the speed rush? Was in the SAM backer who had attempted the speed rush the play before? Was it the coach who called a double-under front to force the offense into 2-jet protection, leaving the LT on an island with two potential rushers? Was it the QB who called the 2-jet to counter the 2 under tackles?

Even if you accept the isolation of everything, FOF is all very simplistic. This front is good against the run, that route beats that coverage... much of it is actually wrong and furthermore, even when it's ostensibly "right," it's an oversimplification. 3-4 generates more pressure. Ok, why? How do I counter that? In FOF, you don't. If the opponent's in 3-4, they have a higher chance of getting pressure, period, than if they were in 3-4. In football, it's not that simple.

Goalline Blitz is a more accurate simulation of football than FOF, even if it doesn't quite end up with realistic stats. It's much better at simulating the dynamics of the game so that tactical decisions are more realistic.
Wait, why do we have to choose? Why can't we have the deep managerial elements of FOF and the presentation elements of 2K?
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa