View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 02:00 AM   #102
khaliib
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Madden NFL 19 Graphics Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFan2005
Good question. I'd rather have a mix of everything, but for it to feel organic and less scripted. This is going off of previous Madden titles, but it's always a matter of time before you see all presentation elements the game has to offer in terms of camera angles and cut scenes, and more often than not, you'll get to see all of them within a short period. Once you can guess with absolute certainty which cut scene they'll show or what exactly triggers a replay (and from what angle), then things become incredibly stale for me.

One thing that can certainly help is making the play call screen much smaller, or just have it occupy the bottom/side portion of the screen so they can show off more of the graphics. I read an article recently that was very critical of modern sports broadcasts and how some of them (ESPN, CBS) use more real estate than necessary on the screen for their score bugs; so much so that it detracts from the action that's going on in the game (things like NBA FINALS GAME 2 that occupy like 1/6th of the screen). Madden is no different, but it suffers the most between plays. I've always wondered why EA chooses to go with such LARGE font and play-call screens when they would benefit so much from a minimalist menu.

Just look at the difference between a CPU-CPU game and a USER game. There's so much presentation and pretty graphics lost with the huge play call screens.
You pose something I’ve never thought of, but hits on something if you think about it.

Why does the playcall/play selection screen has to be so big and in your face?

When I see the initial shot of the stadium, and all the work that’s put into, I just wonder why it doesn’t play a larger role dealing with the presentation package?

I guess I’m just curious to what Madden would look like beyond the whole up close/ in your face aspect of how everything seems to be presented before the gamer.