View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #16
stinkubus
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: What rating are you most annoyed at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Hands down it's Nick Foles. Dude won the Super Bowl and he is rated 1 point higher than Lamar, who some scouts didn't even consider a QB in the NFL, and 1 LOWER than Mayfield somehow.... I mean he won the Super Bowl.... and anyone that watched him in the playoffs knows that he deserves better. That's just crazy to me. I get the hype of rookies but this is a bit ridiculous.
Foles is a fine player, but he's not a world beater. The success he's experienced in Philly is as much a product of Pederson being a great coach. Philly fans should hope that ownership never lets that guy go.

I'll also now insert the obligatory comment that all sorts of average to mediocre QBs, and even a couple of poor ones, have managed to win SBs.

Jackson was probably the third best QB prospect in the draft behind Mayfield and Rosen. He probably also ran the most "pro" style offense of any of the hyped prospects. His issues are going to be with footwork and touch/accuracy, not reading D's. Any scout who sincerely thought he should be a WR instead of a QB needs to find a new line of work.

Josh Allen was this year's hyped prospect who can't read a defense. I'd bench a HS QB for making some of the inexplicably stupid mental errors he's prone to. NFL teams love to drool over that arm strength and think they can fix the other issues, but it almost never works out that way.

You can take a smart guy with a weak to middling arm and build an effective offense with smart play design and good decision making from the QB. What you can't do is build an effective offense with a moron who just so happens to be capable of flinging it 70 yards because no good NFL defense is ever going to give you that anyway.

As far as the rookie's ratings go hyped prospects have had jacked ratings for as long as I can remember. 'Twas ever thus. We all may was well just accept it. Accurately rating them before they've played a down in the NFL is mission impossible anyway.

Last edited by stinkubus; 07-15-2018 at 11:00 AM.