View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #62
adembroski
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: What rating are you most annoyed at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Eh. Wins and championships are team statistics, not quarterback statistics. Conflating QB skill with the team hardware on his shelf severely undermines the contributions of the coaches and the other 52 guys on the roster.
The point is when the Saints suck, Brees doesn't win. Brady has won no matter who his teammates are. Again, if we were talking 2 Superbowls and 3 Conference titles vs. 1 Superbowl and 2 Conference titles, there'd be an argument to be had. We're talking 5 and 8 to 1 and 1.

Basically, I've seen little to no evidence that Brees makes his team greater than the sum of their parts, only that his numbers stay high. It's a little like Steve Young vs. Joe Montana. Young was statistically as good or better across the board, but do you believe for a moment Young could have won a Superbowl with that '81 team? I would argue the '81 49ers had less talent than any 49ers team Young played on, and the '84 team was probably worse than most of them. '93 and '97 were arguably more talented teams than anything Montana ever had, and '94 was definitely the best team the 49ers ever had.

I've seen Brees consistently keep his own numbers up, but he doesn't elevate the team the way Brady does. Brady wins with the '81 'Niners, Brees does not. And saying Brees is like Steve Young isn't an insult, any more than saying Steve Young wasn't Joe Montana.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 07-16-2018 at 07:23 PM.