View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
thescoop
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT

For a lot of us, the game will be released tonight at our local Gamestop. (This is assuming you sprung for the Hall of Fame edition.)

Other will wait to get it tomorrow and those without the Hall of Fame edition will get it Friday. For years I was one of those that showed up to get it first. I remember having to wait until Midnight, then it being bumped up to 11 PM and now even getting it at 9 PM.

I even remember when it was midnight, for both this and NCAA games, Gamestop would host tournaments and a lot of cool prizes could be won. They'd have pizza and soft drinks for everyone waiting. It was kind of like a tailgating experience. And you'd see people you'd usually only see once, twice a year. It was a fun time to be had.

But part of that has changed. The buzz isn't the same. Same of the faces have dropped out of the early chase all together. Gamestop, at least my local one, doesn't do pizza and soft drinks anymore. And tournaments aren't really offered and if they are you are playing last year's version instead of getting a glimpse into the new edition.

Maybe as they make the game release sooner for special editions then the standard release has helped create a divide. Maybe it also prevents them from doing two early releases and those that don't get a "Hall of Fame Edition" have to wait until actual Friday. Or maybe it is because the move from Midnight has given them less time to get some fun stuff started. I don't know.

As I've gotten older the thrill of being there opening night isn't the same. Yes, I typed that in all bold for the subject. But I don't know if I'll be there tonight. I'm sure I will as I have to make the dreaded Wal-Mart run anyway. But even though I'm looking forward to this year's version, I am not sure if I'll be one of the earlier grabbers.

I'm just wondering if some of you have similar thoughts and if the thrill of getting it the "night before actual release" is still the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove