View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #8
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden NFL 19 Impressions (Retail Launch)

I got the game tonight. As I'm still unsettled as to what team I will use in Franchise, I instead played through one game (Cowboys vs Redskins), set up my MUT team, and powered through all of Longshot: Homecoming.

I liked the one full game I played. The lighting looks gorgeous. My players do feel more connected to the ground with the new RPM stuff. Noticed a few confusing commentary errors. All-Pro feels too easy and I'm probably going to have to jump to All-Madden, we'll see if I regret that. I willl need to play more before I have any more nuanced opinions about gameplay, but my first impression was good.

I opened up all the preorder and loyalty content with MUT and played around with some things in the UI (player upgrades, sets, etc.). I've actually got an OVR 75 team out-of-the-box, which is far better than I can remember starting with in any other Madden game. I still doubt I'll touch MUT much, but if I change my mind at least I can start with an OVR 81 Dak Prescott under center and not, say, OVR 60 Charlie Whitehurst (as much as I love me some Clipboard Jesus, just... no. lol)

I actually enjoyed the original Longshot in Madden 18. However, the goodwill I have for the concept has all but evaporated, because in Longshot: Homecoming that train has gone way off the rails. The actors try their best to sell the story and all turn in reasonable performances - even Rob Schneider, who is here inexplicably - but the writing is so unbelievable, the story is so far-fetched, and the stakes are artificially raised whenever possible and in every cliche way imaginable. The story feels even more linear than last year; I couldn't find any "fail" branches. There was one particularly frustrating moment where you cannot advance the story at all until you score a punt return touchdown. It's obvious that the game scenario designers knew this was a terrible pain point because it's the only gameplay scenario in the story which offers a "skip" option if you fail it too many times. They should have just cut it. Longshot still looks great in the Frostbite engine, but that's about the only other compliment I can offer it. Don't bother with it unless you want the achievements.