View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #8
RetractedMonkey
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Did anyone get a fighter update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Moicano: I have no input on the moveset. I wish I did but I dont. My concern is never viability. The balancing is for the devs and the online GCs to figure out. I personally can give a **** about that because so many things go into whether people consider someone OP or UP or viable or not viable.

Its "what have you shown to deserve this rating?" for me. Is it perfect? **** no. Are there fighters who have ratings that their fights dont justify (...Conor...)? Yep. But I control what I can control.

Regarding Moicano, other than the jab he landed against Swanson, I cant recall anything in his UFC career that justifies even a slightly above average power rating. I'm even willing to take in consideration non UFC fights (valued less but still valued) but the proof of power isnt there either.

Now if the argument is that we should be buffing people in categories they havent shown consistent skill in simply to make them viable...I disagree but I dont blame you for that position. Its a position a large amount of elite level online ranked players have. Their focus is on having more viable fighters. My focus is rating fighters as close to the skill theyve shown as they can.

Aldo didnt get a power buff at FW at least. He was a 96 before the patch and he's a 96 now. Also if a two point buff is "substantial", that means pretty much every change we make to a fighter is substantial.
It's not just viability for viability's sake, although I'm not exactly in disagreement with that option. It's compared to other fighters. I don't think he's underrated generally, I feel he's underrated compared to the top tier. In MMA, there are only a few fighters that truly are miles above their competition and even then it's usually only in a few areas. That's not really reflected in game for the most part when it comes to the lower tier.

I do agree that every change you make is substantial. It's just that those changes still have them far below the top tier. So the solution to make me happy (which might not be someone else's) would be to make the gulf smaller by bringing the numbers up or to lower the impact points have overall. Both could be considered inflation in a way, but that's no necessarily a bad thing. Stats shouldn't mean that much in the long run, just enough to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of fighters. Whereas right now, even with the scale for important stats really only being ~84 to ~97, the difference between that 84 and 97 is too steep. In my opinion.