View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #23
RogueHominid
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Defense is OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustADashOfDak
If it's built in then how is it an excuse? The run game really isn't that hard to get down. You hit the holes, don't overrun your blocks, git gud with the sticks. Yes, I've had games with 2.5 ypc but I've also had games with 120+ yards and 5.0 ypc. The bad games were against good defenses and the good games were against bad defenses, for the most part. I've also had average games with 4.0 ypc. The times I haven't had good games it's because I overran my blocks or didn't make a cut when I should have or didn't hit the hole correctly.

Yes, the blocking logic isn't the best at times. But it's not that hard. If people tried to get better as much as they complained...
I'm in agreement here. I found that 80 HUM RBK and 70 CPU RBK, combined with some other settings, was the sweet spot for generating the right amount of TFL for both sides, as well as for generating realistic YPC for the backs.

I'm now to a spot where I can average in the low 3s vs. a really good D or in the high 4s or above on a good day vs. an average or poor D. The CPU seems to have a similar range.

I don't think defense is OP this year at all. The sliders work; use them to tune things to your liking.

Heck, I was tired of seeing so many CPU PD, so I lowered PDRT from 50 to 45 and saw an immediate and drastic reduction in PD in my next played CFM game.

I'm not a good sticks player, either, so I don't think success demands that you be super agile with your thumbs. I think it does demand taking what the defense gives you this year, more than in years past. I'm finding myself checking out of lots of plays, especially runs where I don't like the look, and that has helped boost performance in the run game.