View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #2
PhillyFan22
Rookie

PhillyFan22's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Passing Tips and Reading Defenses

Simplify your playbook and always have something like a flat route or a drag route underneath as your check down. This will let you make one read and if not there dump it off. It's okay to not gain anything or only a couple, happens more than not in the NFL.

You can stick to simple pass concepts like slants, drive, stick, curls and just get your timing down in practice. These plays will allow you to just read a portion of the field, for example with slant flats, pick your side you feel comfortable with and read your slant/flat interaction and make your throw quick. Trying to read all 4 or 5 routes will not work. I always start every game with a running play from under center and then the next play go with a play action with an easy read like a dump off to flat to FB or TE. This just helps me settle into a nice rhythm timing wise.

Something everyone should do learn how to adjust your protection. This is a must for play action passes with rollouts in my opinion. If you see the defense overloads or is blitzing a certain side slide your protection right or left to pick it up. Also keep your running back into block if needed. Work on this in practice to get your timing down as well. Call plays and identify pressure pre-snap, after the snap don't throw and just work on staying in pocket like the old PS2 Madden pocket presence drill. Eventually you will be able to not even look at rush and just have a "feel" for it from experience.

Also, when I first started playing Madden I got so used to using a mobile QB with McNabb and Vick. If you are already going into practice mode pick a team that has a statue of a QB so you aren't subconsciously going to run. Then as your passing abilities increase adding Wilson's running dimension will be like a cheat code when the play breaks down lol.

Edit: Are you on PS4/Xbox or PC?

Last edited by PhillyFan22; 08-25-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added stuff