View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
ab541
Banned

OVR: 0
Improvements to finishing system

Hi All,

I have some suggestions of things that could be improved to the finishing system without making major overhauls (for most of my points).

Point 1

Something that really bugs me is that I’m finding sometimes during my KO's / TKO's that the referee interaction triggers half the time but at other times the ref animation never plays out which is strange. I feel that the ref animation should be playing out 100% of the time for all finish positions currently in the game (TKO/KO's).

The ref interactions look so good and really benefit the immersion of finishing an opponent and in real MMA you are always going to see a ref cover finished opponent or wave in the doctors regardless of the type of finish. Let’s use these ref interactions more because they need more love for how good they look.

Point 2

Another major thing that makes the finishes look really bad are most apparent when finishing an opponent against the cage. The new cage finishes are great, but what currently happens is that the falling character suddenly snaps into a pre-set animation for cage finishes and it looks really bad. Examples below:
via GIPHY

Point 3

I’m finding that the hit detection is pretty bad when it comes to finishes and you really see the extent to this problem in the replays. It seems that many of the shots don’t even appear to fully register with the downed opponents face. See the example below:

What should be happening is the opponents head should be fully registering the impact of the punch in terms of the animation, whether that be the head bouncing off the canvas or even some slight backwards movement after a strike is made. It seems that currently the strike is completely missing the head or sometimes being pulled even before impact is made with the opponents head.

This should be looked into because it’s relying too heavily upon pre-set animations rather than a physics based hit animations and looks forced/rigid as opposed to a loose animation where the impact is completely followed through. It almost looks WWE-esque the way these punches are being pulled.

Point 4

This for me is less important than the others already covered but the ref interaction often involve ghosting because the ref is not always naturally in view. See the example below where the animation is done correctly:

Now see the example below where the ghosting occurs:

As you can see the ghosting animation plays out. I’m wondering if there is any possibility if we can limit this and have it so that the ref gradually works his way into the view like the first example, rather than popping into view like a ghost as shown in the second.

Point 5

The new cage finish position is good and happens often (arguably too often) but really it lacks variety and does not include the ref interaction animation. The way it functionally feels to me as the attacker is that you are pressing the strike buttons only for three punches to come out at a set speed and at a set time due to a locked animation (often you feel and see a delay in the third/final punch also).

Equally as important I feel that as a defender there is nothing you can really do apart from observe and hope you get out of the position. There should be an actual way to defend yourself in this positon. Maybe this is where the seated grappling positons can be put to good use if we get this in the upcoming patch.

So overall for this position we need more animation variety, ref interaction, better defensive options and as mentioned in point 2 the defending character snapping into position has to be addressed.

Point 6

The delay on being able to follow up on a KO’ed opponent is sometimes too pronounced. What I can see happening currently is the attacker waits for the opponent to fully fall down and then moves into a set position and then your strikes start coming out. The delay can be small to very noticeable depending on the KO animation and position of the standing fighter.

This takes away some of the immersion when you are pressing the punch buttons in fury trying to follow up but your fighter is just standing there. Maybe better punch tracking improvements for finishes can help this scenario.

Point 7

As far as I’m aware you currently cannot do this but I could be wrong. Please let me know if I am. But the ability to punch from either hand in certain FTF KO positons and the ability to chain together hammer fists , punches and elbows would be a really cool feature to add in.

For example in the below video, if Anderson Silva could alternate between which hand to punch with and with which strikes during the KO animation then that would make for much more diverse finishes (see example of how is currently works from just one punch and one hand):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that my points are taken into some consideration as it did take me a while to format everything due to the YT clipping playing up. I think that most of the points I raised will require work but not anything so far removed from any of the systems already currently in the game. It’s mainly just the polishing on top of the current systems.

I think that if all these points are addressed then I would personally feel more satisfied than having full ragdoll KO’s like EA UFC 2 had. This is because we already know that the reasons behind why it’s difficult at this point for full ragdoll KO’s, so I tried to avoid this exclusively as one of my points (although some physics tuning will be needed for a few points raised).

Thanks & Regards
AB541

Last edited by ab541; 09-02-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove