View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
FixEverything2k
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Footplanting and Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I know this has been talked about at length, and it's been stated that footplanting is sacrificed for smoothness, but I still feel like the end goal should still be realism.

This happened last night. I got by Sexton with Curry, and Love was waiting for me in the paint. I opted to use Sexton's momentum against him and go with a stepback, knowing how quick Curry's release is (and that 2k seems to have gotten that quick release right this year).

Instead of him running past me and throwing a hand up, he is able to get around me, change directions, and get off his feet and contest the shot in what is essentially one motion, ignoring the physical body of Curry and sliding into position. What should have been an open or at most lightly contested shot registered as heavily contested.

There was no penalty for the defender's momentum. While I do understand that every single step may not be accounted for, things like this shouldn't happen. There needs to be a sense of momentum and weight, and the footplanting is a big part of that.
I think its also how slow and dramatic some offense animations are. Colin was able to take several steps to Currys 1 stepback