Old 09-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
El_Poopador
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Footplanting and Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I don't know if doing a step back when someone is trailing you should have resulted in anything drastically different here....even if every single step was accounted for. Question: Where should Sexton have ended up in your opinion? I could see the argument for a collision maybe?

I agree in general on footplanting though, they should always strive to improve...but the worst part of that clip to me is that it was considered Heavily Contested...you were flicking your wrist pretty much before he got up....that's been vastly improved, but I guess this was a case of it not registering correctly.

I will say, as much footplanting talk as there has been, it's pretty well respected in the 1v1 aspect of the game, even on Hall of Fame. Theres a lot less reliance on suction...
I would expect either a foul (Sexton running into Curry), or him being out of position to defend the shot, and having to essentially stretch backwards to get a hand up since his momentum is carrying him forward.

Basically, he should have overpursued (for lack of a better word), and had to stop and kind of dive back to get a hand up.

Basically, this:

Defender gets beat and has to sprint to catch up. Harden hits him with a stepback, and the defender runs past him. He has to plant his feet to try and defend the shot, because his momentum is carrying him forward.

Then, because he had so much forward momentum, the most he could do is stretch back and throw a hand in the air, even though he really isn't close enough to put up a good contest.