Pro

SeattleBattleCat's Arena

OVR: 0
The Captain Returns - NHL19 - Detroit Red Wings

PRELUDE:

The Headlines That Had The NHL Buzzing:

31st July 2018

Ken Holland Retires as Red Wings GM.

After clocking 21 years as GM of the Detroit Red Wings on the 18th July, Holland announces his retirement effective immediately

31st July 2018,
NHL @NHL / NHL.com

--------------------------------------------------------------

11th September 2018

11th September 2018

12th September 2018

14th September 2018

15th September 2018

Full Story:

Hello Captain Obvious: Steve Yzerman Signs as Red Wings GM.

The Captain Returns to the Detroit Red Wings

Bob Battley / DetroitRedWings.com

Need we say more?

In what was possibly the most obvious scenario playing out over the last couple of weeks in modern day hockey, Steve Yzerman has fully resigned from the Tampa Bay Lightning to become the new General Manager of the Detroit Red Wings moving forward for the 2018/19 season.

With the pre-season set to start tomorrow, during a press conference along with mother & owner Marian, Ilitch Holdings President & CEO, Christopher Ilitch has ended all speculation by finally appointing Yzerman. All done in the space of 6 weeks since Holland’s bombshell announcement on the 31st July.

Yzerman initially created a 2nd storm, after Holland’s shock retirement announcement, when only 5 days ago on the 12th September, he announced his intention to move down to an advisory role to Julien Brisebois within the Tampa Bay Lightning organisation. 3 days later he would resign from the Bolts altogether. Add to that another 2 days later, he is now officially the Red Wings GM.

After an illustirious 22years as a player & captain of this very well known franchise, Yzerman cut his teeth on front office duties, taking on the VP role at the Wings for 4 years between 2006 – 2010 before taking on the prestigious GM spot at Tampa Bay. In the 8 years at the helm of the Lightning, Yzerman has been the orchestrator of drafting talented stars such as Steven Stamkos & Nikita Kucherov, as well as extending their contracts, plus signing a host of undrafted stars such as Tyler Johnson. In his time the Bolts made 5 Eastern Conference Finals Appearances, as well as one Stanley Cup Final appearance.

In a press conference held at Little Caesar’s Arena earlier today, Christopher Ilitch once again thanked Ken Holland for his legacy & 21 years at the helm, then welcomed Yzerman to the role ahead.

“Steven Yzerman embodies the soul of a Red Wing, having spent nearly half a lifetime in amongst the organisation, both as a player & as part of our management. He knows our system & is the perfect fit for the path moving forward. Steve has no small task in turning this team around, however Ken has laid an ample foundation that can be built upon in the seasons to come.”

Yzerman then took to the floor.

“It is truly a privilege to have been given this role. I’d like to thank Christopher & Marian, their family & organisation, for giving me the opportunity to lead the greatest hockey team in the world. I’d especially like to thank the late great, Mr I (Mike Ilitch Sr), who saw the potential in me after my days playing and giving me my 1st shot in the office. It has moulded me into the man I am today.“

I and on behalf of all of the Red Wings organisation, players & staff wish Ken Holland all the best for his retirement & thank him for the massive success he bought to this organisation over 2 decades. A new era has begun & we must focus on continuing to build a path of success in front of us.”

“We have an astounding group of young and upcoming players who will drive our upward push as we strive to improve and win hockey games. We have our core of veterans who will guide them in this process. I am super excited for this challenge & I would like to categorically give my pledge to the citizens of Detroit & fans everywhere that I will give my heart & soul to making the Red Wings champions once again.

Yzerman is a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame and was named one of the 100 Greatest NHL Players. He had 1,755 points (692 goals, 1,063 assists) in 1,514 games over 22 NHL seasons, all with the Detroit Red Wings. The 10-time NHL all-star won the Stanley Cup three times (1997, 1998, 2002) and the Conn Smythe Trophy as MVP of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 1998. He was executive director for Canada when it won the gold medal at the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

This move is sure to be a hit with Red Wings fans everywhere with plenty of noise being made in the recent past by the public to “bring Stevie back”, to guide the team into the future into a new era.

The Red Wings pre-season kicks off tomorrow with youngsters such as 2018 star recruit, Filip Zadina, Michael Rassmussen, Evgeny Svechnikov & Dennis Cholowski set to feature in order to secure themselves a lucrative position on the team.

Jeff Blashill returns in his 4th season as Head Coach of the Wings, in what has been a tough introduction into the NHL, with the Wings missing the last 2 season’s playoff’s series & only just scraping in on his 1st season (2015/16).

Jeff Blashill maintains the head coaching position at Detroit

Perhaps the biggest adjustment the Red Wings will have to make is on the ice, with the recent retirement of Henrik Zetterberg after succumbing to a degenerative back disorder which has plagued him since surgery in 2014. The biggest question on everyones mind is, who will captain the team moving forward?

Barring Zetterberg's retirement, the pieces on the chess board are now finally set in the front office at the Detroit Red Wings, we will await to see where Yzerman guides the franchise as he forges ahead.

Last edited by SeattleBattleCat; 09-16-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove