View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #19
timhere1970
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Will Madden ever be as Authentic as it used to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I personally think Madden 19 is more authentic than football games of past generations, what with:

- more and more accurate player likenesses
- more and more accurate equipment options
- higher fidelity stadiums
- (limited) unique game conditions and presentation video / SFX per-stadium
- authentic NFL run blocking schemes (esp. power / inside zone / outside zone)
- authentic NFL run defenses (run fits, gap assignments, force / cutback assignments)
- authentic NFL pass defenses (pattern matching zones, esp. Cover 4 Quarters this year)
- teaching tools to educate users how to appropriately read multiple-route progressions when executing passing plays on offense
- more authentic pre-snap gameplay mechanics (ID The Mike, hot routes more take time to call, etc.)
- more player ratings to more accurately represent each player's talents
- weekly roster updates
- weekly live season data updates (and by accessory weekly franchise start points)

It'd be a cool touch to have the chain gang back, absolutely. However, adding the chain gang isn't going to magically make Madden the game you want it to be, and I don't think you are giving it enough credit for how authentic it already is relative to past generation games.

Specific to ball spot issues, I personally haven't noticed anything unusual this year. I'm playing as the Cowboys, though, and they have one of the strongest offensive lines and running backs in the game.
I agree with most of this. I do not notice the ball spot issue as much as other people. What I do notice is when I am one step from the first down the defender closing five feet before I can take it and stopping all forward progress at angles that should not do that to create and short situations. I have noticed that for a decade or more. I think on field the game is the best overall it's ever been with more better and less worse. Off field for franchise not so much.

The game playing better than a decade ago is not a major accomplishment. Most of us play other games and that is what the complaining derives from. While in 2005 the game may not have been as good as it is today it was much closer to pushing the boundaries of what game systems could do. We all expected franchise to become more realistic and it has continually become less so. That is a business decision based on one size fits all because where else are the customers going to go. EA is never going to make everybody happy. The disappointing they won't try.