View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
PFellah
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

OVR: 5
Third Time's The Charm(?) - Atlanta Firebirds

The NHL Returns To Georgia. Will The Third Time Be The Charm?

Surprising fans around the league, the NHL made a two-fold announcement. First, that the Las Vegas expansion had gone so well that the timetable for a 32nd team would be accelerated and it would be added for the 2018-2019 season. Second, perhaps more surprising... that the city of Atlanta, not Seattle, as many expected, would get to take its third shot at an NHL team.

To accommodate the new franchise the Detroit Red Wings would be moving to the Central Division. "This realignment was about making the league make geographic sense while preserving interesting divisional rivalries. We believe Detroit fans will enjoy facing Chicago, St. Louis, and Minnesota on a regular basis, and the new Atlanta team should have some natural rivalry potential with the two Florida teams out of the gate, and the rest will build over time.

The team announced it would be operating under the name of the Atlanta Firebirds. "We felt like this was a mix of the old and the new. It pays respects to the legacy of both the Flames and Thrashers, but combines those legacies into something completely new." The team also announced that it had reached an agreement with the Calgary Flames to use the old Atlanta Flames' logo as a secondary logo, but not as a primary.

The team also announced it would be locating its minor-league team in Birmingham, Alabama, where it would play as the Birmingham Bandits.

Editor's Note:
I was originally playing around with a Seattle expansion, I had a logo I liked, but I ran into a wall where I couldn't get a team concept that felt right without being a Seahawks' re-skin.

But then I had something of an epiphany: Flames + Thrashers = FIREBIRDS! Swap out the green and blue for a more fiery palette, and we're in business.

Screenshots of logos/screenshots to be uploaded later: I left the USB stick at home. Oof.
Advertisements - Register to remove