View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
IBMA
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The Fall and Rise of Ohio State Basketball

Thad Matta Has Big Plans For Recruiting
November 8, 2009
Columbus,OH -- We caught up with Thad Matta tonight on the eve of Ohio State’s first game of the 2009 season. We mainly asked about recruiting, and what his approach was.
“Well, first and foremost, we can never bring in enough talent. As I have said before this team is filled with top of the line talent that any team would want. And as a coach I have to understand that I can’t let up at doing half of my job which is bringing in more guys of the same nature. I am going hard in recruiting to make this team even better than where it is at this point. We are looking at the top high school talent in the country, and my scouts assistant coaches, and I have come up with a plan to get these top players to attend Ohio State in the coming fall.” - Matta
Some of these ‘top high school talent[s] in the country’ include Amory Soto, the number one recruit in the nation out of Prairie View, Texas. It has been rumored that OSU is a school Amory is considering. The senior shooting guard averaged 26.2 PPG last season, along with 4.6 APG and 3.8 RPG as a junior in high school.
Another recruit being looked at is Eric Blake, point guard from Brandon, South Dakota, who is ranked number 23 according to the ESPNU 100 rankings. Also, Andy Hamilton, power forward from Mercer Island, Washington is amongst the players being looked at by Ohio State. Hamilton actually was interviewed on his local TV network about the recruiting process that he goes through.
“I mean, it really is hard for me. These men are asking you to be the face of their team, but you can only choose one. It’s not like I can just play for seven different programs. I will say one school has caught my eye so far and I would not be surprised if I were an early commit because of this school.” - Hamilton
Could this mystery school be none other than Thad Matta’s Ohio State Buckeyes? If so, Ohio State would be picking up a solid player who could be fighting for minutes with current Sophomore Bob Pope. Matta seems to be going all out in recruiting, doing whatever it takes to build a dynasty.