View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
Speedy
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
Sports Games & Franchise Mode: What's the Future?

Wasn't really sure where to put this so I created a thread in the OS neighborhood.

Fortnite made $3B in profit last year....a free-to-play game made $3B in PROFIT. I get mobile games have been free and such but this was a video game for PC, console that made millions (billions!) of profit and it was free-to-play. Apex Legends is following the same model too. I expect in full many other studios to try and copy this method, given how successful it is - the kicker being quality content must be provided and frequently.

As a video gamer, I think this is an incredible and transcending movement as the game publisher massively increases the player base and me as a user can enjoy it for free and as my enjoyment increases, put $$ into it. The level of satisfaction for the users is much higher as we always think "well it was free-to-play, I can buy this for $xx." My first free-to-play was Rocket League as I got it on PS+. I put probably $20 into it as I enjoyed the game and wanted some of the cosmetics...first because they were awesome but also as a way to show my appreciation and give some $$ back to the game studio/devs. This model has proven to be fairly successful but again, the requirement is quality content and consistent.

So I was thinking about sport video games...Madden, MLB Show, NBA 2K, etc. I think we can all fairly easily see a AAA video game moving to a free-to-play or a reduced price video game that has these micro-transactions and the game still be profitable. Madden has MUT, 2K uses VC currency, MLB Show has stubs and each has a fairly decent system in place as it allow players to use real-life currency to purchase in-game content for cosmetics, upgradables, etc. I don't know the detail but I'm sure based on the devs focus on these modes each year, they are very profitable.

BUT my concern - I love franchise/GM modes. I can't really think of ways to "monetize" this mode and make it profitable like the aforementioned modes. I don't see it logical pouring in $10-$15 into my franchise and it still be "realistic" and "sim"...franchise has been and will always be to me about the slow grind and building up my team to a juggernaut versus instant gratification that these microtransactions provide. So upgrades for xx% doesn't make sense to me, or upgrades for more $$ in budget or even $$ to get more equipment to put on my players...it just doesn't "fit" to me. So how could devs make a franchise mode that would sustain itself? It feels like franchise would hang onto whatever profit is made thru the other modes and as devs see the the $$ made from other modes vs. franchise.

Maybe it's just me but I honestly think in 15-20 years, franchise modes in AAA video games games might be just skeletons or even non-existent.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.

Last edited by Speedy; 02-08-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove