View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #26
NowZ777
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting/Drafting in Franchise Mode

So basically, what I've found to be most effective when scouting in nhl 18, is to just let the cpu do the work for you. There's no effective method I've found, I have even drafted a top 6 forward from North Korea in the 3rd round just for the heck of it (I'm not kidding). It's an absolute given that the first two drafts of any franchise are just gonna be bad, there's no getting around it. The only surefire thing you can do for the 1st (or second draft, I cant remember) is to pick Timothy Liljigren, ALWAYS. Don't ever go for Exact top 9 forwards or exact top 6 defenseman, neither of those types will do you any good in the future. Always have a go big or go home mentality, it'll pay off. I've found that one of the easiest draft picks to make is goalies (After the first THREE years). Many times I'll go for a goalie that has a High fringe starter prediction, and I end up with a medium elite. Even if you don't need a goalie particularly, it's still awesome trade fodder. This is not to say however that you should always draft goalies. Only draft the goalie if it's your only choice. If you can draft an exact to high elite skater, go for it. After about year 4 or 5, make sure to always check free agency for undrafted low elites, I've got undrafted low elites as high as 82 overall, and they progress very well if you manage them well. A couple of tidbits here. 1. If there a player projected to be a franchise player, ALWAYS trade up for that player unless you already have two or more franchise players on your team. It is worth it. 2. If there is a player in the draft that is available and at least high elite, however you don't need that position, still pick that player. It's a good safe pick, and you can trade the player at any time.
3. If you snag a med elite goalie, when it's time to renew his contract, give him an 8 year contract along with whatever money he wants. It pays off for years to come, considering I have a 89 overall goalie who I'm paying 4.8 mil, I'd know.
4. Don't get attached to players on your team who are 86 or below. Generally as you get into the latter half of your franchise, players are gonna start asking for absurd amounts of cash. I'm in year 16 of my current franchise, and it's very common to find 81 overall free agents asking for upwards of 6 mil a year.
If you are concerned about my strategies, just don't be, it's tried and true. In my current franchise, I've won the stanley cup 10 out of 16 years with NO human interference in games. 94 overall offense, 100 overall defense, 89 overall goalie with a medium elite backup at 82, and endless amounts of low to medium elite prospects.