View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
JayhawkerStL
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: EA Remaster Tiger Woods 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Sports games are very difficult to remaster/rerelease, mainly due to licensing issues. My understanding is that they'd either have to renegotiate with every previously existing license/likeness in that game or strip away that content. That would include golfers, courses, tournaments, and official apparel at the very least.
Yeah, they would have to re-negotiate, but I don't see how that it would be that much different from negotiating them in the first place. I would assume EA has all the information and contacts it requires to get them back in the game. But what has to be stripped has to be stripped. It would be the same stuff that wouldn't be in a new game anyway.

The likelihood of all this is pretty much nil, but there is a path forward if someone at EA wants to take this on.

I am starting to think that the costs of development started to spiral out of control, so they cut it short and shipped the game in order to collect what they could. That could be either good or bad news about a new version. If they think they can still recoup costs, it might help. If it means it's just too expensive to work on, then they are done.

EA probably should have just paused on the TW series instead of dumping him. He's really the only golfer that I think drives sales to people that might not buy otherwise. Everyone else is just a name of a famous golfer, but doesn't really move the needle for most gamers.

That's why they never should have spent money on Rory. Even when he is going great, he doesn't have near the impact Tiger does. And Tiger's name has reached Madden's level, where it can just be the word for video game golf.

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 04-16-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove