Old 04-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
The EVHL
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A New Way to Play - Strategy Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyD
Sliders are legit. The only thing I had to change was to put the user goalies down to equal the CPU goalies, because I couldnt give up a goal. Other than that, the game plays balanced and fair.

I couldnt load the CPU team strategiess though in playoff mode. Why does EA handcuff stuff like this? Is there a way to put them in rosters and load up those in playoff mode? I couldnt find anywhere to do it.
I haven't had the chance to test that, and yeah I usually play this game in my own weird way, but I was hoping they weren't too far off for people who were looking for an actual 1-team experience. I only play in season mode with full roster control and obviously the ability to change sliders.

One workaround for you would be to start a playoff mode controlling every team, and if there's no menu to update strategies before the game, you could always start the game on the CPU team, adjust the strategies there, select sides back to your team and go from there. It is somewhat annoying but it could solve the issue you're running into.

Glad you're liking the sliders though! I feel like they are a really fun balance between video game accessibility and a solid amount of effort and skill required to setup plays. How are you liking the CPU goalies? I feel some games I score a lot, others I score little to none and it's normally based on the defense (which is kind of true to the real NHL). Are you feeling that you're rewarded enough for good plays? Are the goalies good enough to stop some backdoor plays every once in awhile? Are there any "go-to" moves you feel are too easy? I feel like the attribute effect at 10 mixed with the 100 fatigue effect is making the "cheese" shots somewhat hard to miss as sharp cuts and speed really have a high impact on the shot accuracy. I'm always looking to find a new challenge which is why I made these sliders, so let me know if you've adjusted anything to fit your specific play-style or if you're seeing anything painfully wrong that you've tried to address!

I've scored some really pretty screen goals where the goal location wasn't terribly realistic (five-hole from above tops of circles) but the scenario was realistic which makes up for the lack of seeing-eye shots in this game. Overall, the puck is way more loose off shots where the goalie doesn't have a lot of time to react, I'm seeing less reactionary saves and more blocking saves on in-tight chances which are leading to more engaging scrambles.

Overall, I've just genuinely enjoyed playing this game since I've started this method. Easily the most fun I've ever had playing a hockey game.