View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 02:35 AM   #17
johnmangala
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Circling Out --- Sprint Option For UFC 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
You and others need to understand something.

I'm not making an argument for comp players. This isnt my argument. I've never bought into the argument that "running" is an issue. I believe that comp players use the term "running" to mean anyone who isnt constantly engaging and I dislike that.

My point is that this is what they are saying when you attempt to add features that will buff movement. So when you suggest something like this you need to realize there is another side that is very vocal....that likely doesnt agree with what you want.

So you dont need to convince me. I dont need to debate their points with you. What you need is hardcore comp players to come over to your side. Until then the devs will be obligated to try to find a middle ground so they dont alienate one of the sides.
I'm not saying it's your argument. I am just talking about the argument itself not about who's it is or who is presenting it.

To make this clear I am not talking about getting literal running away in, at least not until there is also movement tied to the cage. I am referring to literal circling in this context.

Visual illustration:

'Running' (running away, literally facing away)

Circling (lateral movement/strafing)

Comp doesn't want something like the first gif. It would not fit into this game at this stage. Things like free movement (Movement tied to opponent or cage, instead of just opponent now) would be required for that.

Are you suggesting that comp would be opposed to a basic fundamental tool like the second gif that can be used offensively- cage cut, or defensively- circle away, because they don't want the first gif? I don't think you have shown that.

Even if, just because a vocal minority based on samples doesn't like a fundamental feature doesn't mean it needs to be disregarded for the rest. What you are talking about is not a middle ground tho.

A middle ground would be having the feature but have it be contained with tunings that adjust for cage cutting v 'running' (circling along v circling away). For example, circling near the cage with your back against, or near, it would slow down allowing for more effective cage cutting.

Here's an example of a real fighter countering circling away by cage cutting. Something that could be done in game by comp...

The point you have avoided so far is the same tool that would allow for people to 'run away' is the same tool that can be used to cut them off by circling along side them as they try to circle away (aka 'run'). It's still skill based, especially with the tunings that accompany all new features.

There is already an effective way to stop running already and it's with grappling, but when comp doesn't use the tools and only want to strike you want to accommodate them further by restricting options for the rest?

That said, coming back to the main point- circling can be used both offensively and defensively, as depicted in the second gif. Even if you only want to strike you are actually preventing those skilled in cage cutting from utilizing this technique to check 'running' or in this context circling away with only stand up skills.